cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup CIFS on EMC Celerra with Backup Exec 2010

ChrisCarrasco
Level 3

I'm trying to backup CIFS shares on our EMC Celerra NX4 using Backup Exec 2010. We have the tape library attached to the Windows Media server. I created the NDMP Storage Device with no problems. Then created the Backup job using NDMP EMC Backup options - Level 0, Backup Type Dump, and enbled file history. After a few minutes it failed with : e000fe23 - An invalid device name was specified.

Then I changed the Backup Type to VBB and got Error: e000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Has anyone run into this issue using this configuration? Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you have the NDMP options installed. If you are backing up the NDMP as a device then you should have the NDMP license installed on BE server. If you just want to backup the CIFS share and don't want to backup it as a device then make sure you disable the NDMP option on the filer itself and then try the backups

ChrisCarrasco
Level 3

Thank you Sazz! Yes I do have the NDMP options installed and using a temp license for now. I would like to back it up as a device because it would be much quicker. If that is not possible for whatever reason then I will try backing it up via the "User Selection". I will update after trying that.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you selecting over CIFS (so selecting via the Sharename) or selecting over NDMP (selecting via the device and volume path) as if you are mixing up the selection types with the method type I would expect some strange results.

Some xtra points

an NDMP backup requires NDMP to be enabled on the server and as far as I can remember if it is a Celerra the logon credentials when adding the NDMP device into Backup Exec in the first place must be called ndmp and must have MD5 authentication enabled. (A netapp can use other account names)

If doing a CIFS backup NDMP must be disabled on the Celerra as othwerwise it confuses backup exec into expecting a remote agent and then you get a failure. Even with NDMP disabled the job will always contain a warnign to state that the backup was not done with a remote agent.

ChrisCarrasco
Level 3

Hi Colin.

I am selecting NDMP ( The device and volume path). I created an account on the Celerra called ndmp and created a logon account with the same name. I used that account to created the NDMP Storage on Backup Exec.

On the Selection List I selected the NDMP server and the specific file system I want to backup.

ChrisCarrasco
Level 3

Also I am getting inconsistent responses from Backup Exec when i open the job and try to browse the file systems/volumes on the Celerra. Now when i try to vew the volumes under the NDMP server I get the below error:

Failed to log on to: 172.25.251.107:10000
Logon account: ndmp

The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

ChrisCarrasco
Level 3

Ok. I disabled NDMP on the Celerra and rebooted the data mover. Then removed the NDMP storage from Backup exec and restarted the services. Then created a new job selecting the cifs shares user user-defined selection.

Ran the job and it failed with authentication errors. Changed the Logon account to another one that I know has admin rights to the CIFS server. Ran it again and then got the no remote agent error.

What am I missing here???

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

If you are trying to backup cifs from user defined selection please select root a/c to backup then you can add root a/c by going to network --log on account & then see if that works with root a/c or not

Thank You

ChrisCarrasco
Level 3

Thank you itsmeaffinity

I did try that just now and recieved the authentication failure error.

I'm not able to select the CIFS shares in the selection list of the job setup using the root account but I can using the default account which is a domian admin. The CIFS server is on the domain.

ChrisCarrasco
Level 3

I viewd the activity using sgmon and see that it is using ndmp to try to connect to the Celerra even though I have it disabled. I opened a case with support on this. let you know what they find.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

In that case for isolation may be try changing the port of beremote on media server from port 10,000 to 12,000 (you can change the port by going to services.txt in c-windows-system32-drivers-etc) & then try restart the services once & then try to backup the CIFS from domain admin to see if that works

Thank You

Dataway
Level 4

ChrisCarrasco,

Any update on this issue yet?

DaHess
Level 2

I have a similar, if not the same problem with one of our customers.

Has somebody ever successfully backed up a CIFS Share from the Celerra without using NDMP?

My understanding is that if you disable NDMP on the Celerra (removing the following line from the /nas/server/slot_x/netd file:  ndmp port=10000)

you should not get any login prompt anymore and it should work.

Can somebody here confirm this?

Customer is having DART version 6.0.40-5. running on the Celerra and SBE is on version 2010.

Thanks.