cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup EV Indexes after upgrade to EV 10.0.3

Kinger110
Level 3

Hi,

I have been having an issue with backing up Enterprise Vault Indexes after upgrading EV to 10.0.3.

We Use Backup Exec 2012 running on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

I have tried all of the Symantec KB articles i could find on this and none of them have worked including verfying permissions for the admin shares, checking the Index location entries in the EVBACKUP.XML file and many other associated articles. I am pretty sure it is a permissions issue i just can't find where i am missing the correct permission.

Been at this a while now and thought i would reach out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I believe that EV 10.0.3 is not supported.  See this Idea calling for its support.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/enterprise-vault-1003-compatiblity-backup-exec

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I believe that EV 10.0.3 is not supported.  See this Idea calling for its support.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/enterprise-vault-1003-compatiblity-backup-exec

Kinger110
Level 3

Thats not good news

I am able to backup everything else for Enterprise vault just not the indexes.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes EV 10.0.3 is not currently supported and unfortunately this support is not planned as part of SP2 for BE 2012 either. The current intention (subject to change) is to support 10.0.3 and probably 10.0.4 with the next full release of  Backup Exec.

Kinger110
Level 3

Thanks Colin

A quick question then, because i cannot backup my indexes, i currently have around 200000 items waiting to be indexed is there a way i can reolve this problem without taking a backup?

SaurabhK_BE
Level 3
Employee

Could you please share the exact error message you are getting ?

What was your previous EV version ?

Colin_Weaver

That sounds like more of an Enterprise Vault question than a Backup Exec one, so sorry I do not know the answer.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why aren't Symantec teams (EV and BE) not talking to each other.

This means that there is no option to backup EV with BE untill .... ??

Kinger110
Level 3

This is the error message i am getting

Unable to attach to .
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

I have tried all of the KB and forum articles i could find that are based on this error and even some that are not based on it with no luck.
I logged a case yesterday and worked through this with Symantec Support as well but they were unable to help me either and said i would need to wait until the new version of Backup Exec was released.

Kinger110
Level 3

Thanks Colin just thought i would ask, I will look into this from the EV side now since the options with Backup Exec have dried up.

Kinger110
Level 3

My Previous version of EV was 10.0.1

mustansir
Level 4
M not sure if this would help however u can try.... You can set and clear index location backup mode in following places.... The context menu of ev site The context menu of any ev server The index service properties page In ev console go to the properties of ev indexing service Click index locations tab Check the backup mode there If set than change it reset it again and than try with backup.... As its complaining about permissions m sure it must be added to domain admins however try adding the account to administrators group and then check... Hope this helps u resolving with the issue

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the issue lies with EV not being supported for the version. Anything provided in terms of a solution is a work-around...the OP is not supported, and would find himself in a worse-off situation if further problems developed.

Thanks!

Kinger110
Level 3

Hi, I tried most of these options before i contacted Symantec support and none of them were successful, it is odd i can backup every other component of EV just not the indexes. Symantec has told me that it is a version compatibility issue and i will need to wait until the new version of Backup Exec is released.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

we expecting a service pack to be released soon that might support it however we would be sure only once SCL is publshied for the same.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...maybe because they have bigger things on their plate like supporting Exchange 2013, SharePoint 2013 and Windows Server 2012 which they're being hammered for...? yes

They would probably have been working on that and getting the trust back from clients, and put this on the back-burner. Only Symantec can confirm this, so best to raise it with someone via PM.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

Sorry but as I already confirmed EV 10.0.3 support is NOT in the imminent Service Pack 2 for 2012