cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup folders with DFSR running

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

I have one set of folders on one server that I am having difficulty backing up. The server being backed up is 2008 R2, and is a "collector" for a lot of data. If I run a backup on the folder locations (selection set), I get the error 0xe000fe36 - corrupt data encountered. If I run a job on the Distributed File System for the same folders, I get the same error. The only way I can get a job to run is by stopping the DFSR service on the server, which is obviously not ideal. I am backing up other servers that have DFSR running with no problems at all.

I have set AOFO, and still no joy.

There are no issues with the VSS writers on the target server.

I have raised cases about this previously, but have not had a successful, long term resolution.

Anyone have any ideas?

BE environment is server 2003, with BE 2010 R3 with SP4, and the target server has the most up-to-date BE agent

22 REPLIES 22

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

would you email me the case number?

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Arul,

Does it matter that these cases are over 6 months old?

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Amanda Jayne,

Do you have any errors in Window Event Logs?

If you deselect AOFO do you get the same error?

try recreating the job 

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

should help .. to check the summary and avaiable log if any!!

Jarzamendia
Level 4

Try expand the Volume Shadowcopy maximum size in the disk properties. (Shadow Copies --> Letter (D:?) --> Settings). I try 8000 MB. 

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Do you have any errors in Window Event Logs?

Yes, stating that corrupt data has been encountered

If you deselect AOFO do you get the same error?

Yes, I have selected AOFO in the vain hope that it would help

try recreating the job

Done that, some of the jobs are new as I broke down the original jobs into subfolders

Jarzamedia, there are no limits on my shadow copy size on the folders

lmosla
Level 6

Have you seen this Technote on the issue? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH207110

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Imosla, the solution doesn't make sense to me. What am I supposed to do to resolve the issue?

lmosla
Level 6

The solutions in the Technote would only be applicable if you getting this error in Windows System Event Logs:

Log Name:      System
 Source:        volsnap
 Event ID:      16
 Task Category: None
 Level:         Error
 Keywords:      Classic
 Description:
 The shadow copies of volume X: were aborted because volume Y:, which contains shadow copy storage for this shadow copy, was force dismounted.

Have you used this Technote for troubleshooting http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90739 ?

Try a backup with Windows NTBackup for testing purposes.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Yes, I have tried all those suggestions.

AOFO not selected, the job fails

AOFO selected, the job fails

Windows server backup completes successfully,

VSS writers all in stable states

Only disabling DFSR service the jobs will compelte correctly, which is not ideal. The jobs are taking days to complete, and I don't like leaving DFSR off for this length of time

We have other servers running DFSR where this is not an issue.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Is anyone able to help on this? This situation is getting unworkable.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Hi.  Please let me know if you are still experiencing this difficulty.  If so, I can help investigate.  Thank you.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Hi marcusolini,

Yes we are still experiencing this issue.

Would be very grateful if you could assist.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Hi Amanda Jayne.  We will need to collect some initial diagnostic information.  Attached is a command line script that will automatically collect all of the initial diagnostic information into a text file.  The script uses only native operating system commands (VSSADMIN, BCDEDIT, MOUNTVOL, REG, DISKPART, FSUTIL).  When able, please follow the below instructions.  Thank you.

(1)  Ensure that the DFSR Service is executing on the system experiencing the difficulty.
(2)  Copy the compressed file “vss-diag.zip” into a local directory of the DFSR system.
(3)  Extract the compressed file “vss-diag.zip” into the same local directory.
(4)  Execute the command file “vss-diag.cmd” from a command prompt.
(5)  Review and attach the resulting diagnostic text file “vss-diag-output.txt” to this post for further review.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Hi Marcuolini,

Please see attached output (I have zipped it to keep file size down).

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Thank you for the initial diagnostics information!  From a review, without getting into details, there does not appear to be any obvious VSS operational or configuration related issues.  Now we need to start to determine the origin of the corruption message.  When able, please acquire the most recent Backup Exec Job Log that contains corruption message and attach it to this post for review.  Please let me know if you need any assistance.  Thank you.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

I've just checked the most recent failures (April, as I have been turning DFSR off for the jobs to complete), but there is no job log information, only backup set information.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Hello.  In order to proceed with the investigation collection of the Job Log and other information is essential.  At this initial stage of the investigation collection of the BE Job Log and BE Remote Agent (RAWS) Debug Log will be most effective.    Attached is a command line script that will help automatically collect the RAWS Debug Log information into a text file.  The Job Log will need to be manually collected.  When able, please follow the below instructions.  Please let me know if you need any additional explanation or assistance.  Thank you.

(6)  Ensure that the DFSR Service is executing on the system experiencing the difficulty.
(7)  Copy the compressed file “Raws-Debug-Log-Capture.zip” into a local directory of the DFSR system.
(8)  Extract the compressed file “Raws-Debug-Log-Capture.zip” into the same local directory.
(9)  Execute the command file “Raws-Debug-Log-Capture.cmd” from an elevated Administrator command prompt to begin the debug log collection; as instructed.
(10)  On the Backup Exec Server, run a DFSR backup job that reproduces the ‘corrupt data’ backup difficulty.
(11)  After the DFSR backup job has completed, on the DFSR system, finish the debug log collection; as instructed.
(12)  Manually collect the DFSR backup Jog Log.
(13)  Review, compress, and attach the resulting debug log information text file “Raws-Debug-Log-Capture-Output.txt” and BE Jog Log to this post for further review.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Hi Marcusolini,

Sorry for the delay, I've been on leave.

Please see attached. I've included the job log in the zip file.