cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup linux server with selection root

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi 

I am trying to backup a linux server (physical) using the remote agent for linux for BE 2104. The backup fails with error that it cannot backup / or sub directories and it then lists some file systems (/etc /lib /media etc). I am using the root accout so I know that its not an issue with rights or permissions. 

As per best practices we cannot use BE to do a full DR of linux servers however I am guessing i should still be able to backup the entire server ?

symantec tech support suggests I can only backup user data and cannot give root as an option during backup job selection. Just looking for more clarity as I dont see any such restrictions mentioned in the admin guide. Any ideas ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jinxnbu
Level 5

After some trial and error I found that if I didnt edit a backup selection once I have created the job, the backups will complete successfully. When i went about editing the selection list of an existing job I was sure to get a backup failure. 

Finally i have consistently successful backups. If i needed to backup only a few mount points, I would create a new job for the server and select the mount points instead of editing the existing job. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the Linux variant that you are using?  Check the SCL below to make sure that it is supported.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the flavor/version of Linux mentioned in the Software Compatibility List (SCL) ?

Is the Remote Agent service running and is port 10000 available for use by beremote ?

Here is a KB outlining the Best Practices - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=howto74430

Verbatim from this KB ~

Use the Linux Agent to back up user data and configuration files. However, because of the lack of open file handling support, Symantec does not recommend the Linux Agent as a complete system for disaster recovery

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi 

its a supported version of linux rhel 6.5 . I did some troubleshooting and realised that if i backup the mount points seaprately then it gets backed up successfully. However if i select the entire server and try to backup then eventually it will fail at some mount point.. eg /mnt or /var and if i select just /var and try backup then it works. 

Any suggstions ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can specify that the job does not follow mount points

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you select the entire server it will follow the mount points, if you select them seperately it won't.

So like pkh suggests you can disable the follow mount point option because that will be safer then just selecting them seperately.

You can find this option under the job settings (File & Folder options), it's called "Back up files and directories by following junction points and mount points".

jinxnbu
Level 5

After some trial and error I found that if I didnt edit a backup selection once I have created the job, the backups will complete successfully. When i went about editing the selection list of an existing job I was sure to get a backup failure. 

Finally i have consistently successful backups. If i needed to backup only a few mount points, I would create a new job for the server and select the mount points instead of editing the existing job.