cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup to NAS drive

WayneGrant
Level 2
Hi,

I've just purchased a 1Tb Western Digital NAS drive and would like to know how to configure the HDD for NAS backup using NDMP.   Additionally, I can see the network shares in Windows Explorer, however, I cannot backup to those shares using Symantec.   If NAS will not work for the WD My Book World Edition how do I backup to a UNC path?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Wayne,
NDMP backups are supported so far, only for EMC or Netapp filers. You may want to create backup to disk folders for WD NAS drive. Brose to devices tab and create a backup to disk folder and provide UNC path as destination. Ensure that Backup Exec service account has read/write share permissions on the folder to which you are performing the backup.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Wayne,
NDMP backups are supported so far, only for EMC or Netapp filers. You may want to create backup to disk folders for WD NAS drive. Brose to devices tab and create a backup to disk folder and provide UNC path as destination. Ensure that Backup Exec service account has read/write share permissions on the folder to which you are performing the backup.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6
 NDMP is reserved generally for enterprise class products, not WD SOHO NAS devices.

UNC is your only choice as mentioned by Symantec.

WayneGrant
Level 2
Thanks Jain,

Just created the backup to disk folder with the UNC path and did a test backup and it worked fine.

Thank you very much.   WD provides a software that has to be installed with the drive on the server so the Backup Exec service account automatically has read/write permissions.

Thanks again.

Wayne

What's the software name?