cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to browse other subnets through Backup Exec when trying to create new Backup Job

cyork
Level 3

When trying to create a new backup (just installed the software so no existing backup exist) via the Job Setup tab and right clicking and selecting New Backup Job and clicking Domains, Microsoft Widnows Network and clicking my domain I can only see the servers that are on the same subnet as the backup server that is running Backup Exec 2010.  The server that I'm wanting to backup is on a differnt subnet.  I also tried adding the server under the Favorite Resources by ip address instead of name and when I trying selecting the server this way I get a pop up stating "Failed to log on to: XXXXX", "The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed" and asking to "Plase select a logon account from the list".  I can only browse via Backup exec servers that are on the same subnet that Backup Exec is installed on.

5 REPLIES 5

Siddh
Level 4

1. Are you trying to take two different domain backup or only two different subnets???

2. are you able to ping client server from media server??

3. what is the OS on BE server and client server.

4. have you installed remote agent on client installed. if you have installed then make sure you have enable client publishing on client server remote utility and same server should be listed in favorites

try to add the client from user define server check if you can connect the server.

cyork
Level 3

1.  Only 2 differnet subnet

2.  Yes I'm able to ping the server that I'm trying to backup from the Media server.  I'm able to map a network drive and browse the server that I want to backup from the Media server.

3.  OS on both is Windows Server 2008 SP2

4.  Yes I installed the remote agent on the client server (manually) was not able to do so through the Install agents and media servers on Other Servers... wizard under Tools menu.  However,  When I go to the  Install agents and media servers on Other Servers...  wizard and select Imprt and Export button dropdown and select Import Servers Published to this Meida Server (and select Remtoe Agent for Windows Systems) I see the client server listed under Remote Computers

Same issue when tyring to add the client from the User-definded Selections

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Under the Network & Security settings, is a specific sub-net specified ? Also, have you checked the option " Allow use of any available NIC, subnet......"

Secondly, is the media server's IP address present under the Remote Agent Utility's publishing tab ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the router between the subnets filtering by TCP Port in anyway (i.e. is it acting as a firewall.)

BTW the Favorite Resources list in the BE Selection list is auto-populated by Remote Agent Publishing so if your remote servers are not appearing there automatically, you publihing is either mot configired or firewalls are blocking access.

Basically all of the following can be affected by software or hardware firewalls (or security group policies - but you have indicated that machines on local subnet work so probably not that)

- Push install of remote agents

- Browse to systems in backup selection list

- Publishing to Favorite Resources.

Also, at a basic level if you login to the media server console as the login account used by the Backup Exec serverices can you browse using Windows Explorer to these remote servers - if you can't you might have a security problem with access.

cyork
Level 3

What are the ports that need to be open on the firewall?  I can then check with networking that these ports are not being blocked.

I'm able to browse theremote server using windows explorer normally.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43579 to set up BackupExec with a Firewall