cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create new backup folder. Access denied (Solution)

Jim_McGowan
Level 2

I've been pissed off at Symantec for a long time on this one but I was finally forced to spend hours figuring out a solution that they should know.

I have an Intel SS4000-E  NAS Storage device. I was not able to add a Backup to disk folder in BackupExec but I was able to access it in all respects via Windows explorer and all other apps.  Only Veritas failed with the error "Unable to create new backup folder. Access denied."

I found the problem is related to the username and password used to access the NAS device.  BE is not using the Service credentials to access Backup to disk folders as some posts speculate.  It is using windows cached credentials.  So matching the credentials on a NAS device with the credentials for the BE services does not work.

Here are the steps to get it to work.

Disconnect all drive mappings in Windows to your NAS and close any other connections.

Log out and back in to clear the cached credentials.

Open explorer and choose map a network drive.

Enter the UNC Name \\DeviceName\ShareName of the NAS and choose any free drive letter.

Choose Reconnect at logon.

DO NOT Choose Connect using a Different user name.

Hit OK.  You will be prompted to enter credentials. If you are not prompted you still have an open connection to the NAS.  Start back at step 1.

Enter the DeviceName\UserName and the Password for the user account on the NAS device in the boxes.

Check the box to remember the password.

After the NAS Device opens in Explorer you can open BE and add all your Backup to disk folders.

Message Edited by Jim McGowan on 08-21-2008 11:38 PM
Message Edited by Jim McGowan on 08-21-2008 11:48 PM
1 REPLY 1

GuildofDruids
Not applicable
Here is how you can easily clear the cached passwords used for a particular user(s)

-> Click on Start > Run > Type "control userpasswords2"
-> click on Advanced > Managed Passwords > 
- > Choose the username/Server and remove the password
-> Try remap and it will ask you for the new password.