Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Unable to create selection list' prevents restore of data

Dan007
Level 4
Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 SP2
Symantec BE 12.5

Hello.  This morning when attempting to restore data from an Ultrium 3 tape, I got the message "Unable to create selection list". 

I assumed that the catalogue might have become corrupted, and ran a Catalog job, but this has not helped. 

I have done a little bit of searching, and one article warned that this problem could be the result of a lack of space on the media server. This isn't the case here.

I have succeeded in restoring other files from this this tape, so presumably there is something odd about the directory in question?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
Dan
12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Just plain data? Not SQL, Oracle of Exchange?

Dan007
Level 4
Apologies for not stating in message. Yes, Just plain data.

Dan

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I would suggest trying to re-catalog that tape.  It may have a bad/corrupt catalog

superalf
Level 3
Do you have another backup server? If you do, you could try cataloging and restoring from that server... This will circumvent any database or catalog corruption on the BE server you're trying to use. If you don't have another BE server, I have another suggestion but it's more complicated.

Dan007
Level 4

Thanks for both the suggestions.  I think we will get by without the data on this occassion, but obviously I want to get to the bottom of the problem, and will investigate further after the weekend.  Unfortunately, we only have the one BE Server, so if Superalf could elaborate it would be appreciated.

Have a good weekend.
Dan

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

to rule out a corrupt catalog

shut down backup exec
rename the \Catalogs folder (to \Catalogs.sav for example)
restart the services
inventory and catalog the tape
try your restore

remember to swap the catalog folders  back when you are done! |8-)

Dan007
Level 4
Cheers Ken - I will try that Monday!
Dan

superalf
Level 3
Hi Dan,

I actually wrote up an article yesterday regarding my "more complicated suggestion". It's entitled "Completing Troublesome Restore & Catalog Jobs in Backup Exec" and I'm just waiting for it to be approved, hopefully that happens soon. It basically shows you how to perform a restore from a clean database. It's pretty detailed about how you go about doing this. I'll post a link to it on here as soon it's published.

But definitely try out Ken's suggestion as you might not need to go as far as I take you on my article.

Turls
Level 6
Superalf's article is now published. Chek it out if that helps to solve the problem indicated here on this thread..https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/completing-troublesome-restore-catalog-jobs-backup-exec

Dan007
Level 4
Thank you for taking the time to write this article.  I have printed it out for reference, and as soon as I get my head above water will try your suggestions.

Thanks again,
Dan

Jerry_Lambert
Level 2
I know this is an old posting, but I found a simple way around this problem.  When running a restore, do NOT change the name of the restore under Job Name.  This causes Backup Exec to generate a new selection list name that it can use for the restore.  I don't know why it works, but it works, every time!

TVSRUBBERITADMI
Level 3
Dear Members

Daily night veritas backup completes abc123.bkf file in Production Server.  I copied the same file to my testserver through file copy on schedule task.  What is the best method to restore the same .bkf file to my testserver on automatic schduled jobs.  If it completes in the night my developers can use it in the morning.

Thanks