cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create the disk storage. Invalid Signature.

FrancisDupont
Level 3

Hello,

I recently installed Veritas Backup Exec 20 on Windows Server 2016.
I want to store backups on an Isilon cluster running OneFS 6.5 (I know, it's old).

When I create storage through an SMB share hosted by the cluster, BE shows the following error message: Unable to create the disk storage. Invalid Signature.
I saw that the problem is known: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100042594

So, I applied the solution proposed by Microsoft on the Window server, namely:

Set-SmbClientConfiguration -RequireSecuritySignature $false
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" RequireSecureNegotiate -Value 0 -Force

But I still get the same "Invalid signature" error message after restarting the server on which BE is installed.

Is there another solution? What do you think?
Would a solution be to switch to NFS instead? But isn't the connection with the BE service account credentials likely to be a problem?

Thank you. Happy new year.
Best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

We have recently updated OneFS, from 6.5 to 7.1.1 which offers compatibility with SMBv3.
In BE, the storage creation now manages to finalize without error message.

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@FrancisDupont 

The Isilon software is probably too old.

The article that you found says:

To resolve this problem, please contact the third-party file server vendor to request an update that enables the file server to support Windows Server 2012 (and later) and Windows 8 clients.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I would be curious to know how B2Dtest runs on that environment.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100020569.

Please find attached the B2Dtest results.
The test seems to be successful.

Thanks.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What SMB versions are enabled on the Windows 2016 servers and on the Isilon storage?

I might suggest investigating if SMBv1 is enabled on both the Windows server and the Isilon storage to avoid th security checks in the newer SMB versions.  You may need to disable higher versions of SMB to force communications back down to SMBv1.  I believe there are some security concerns about using older SMB versions, so this needs to be considered in balance with your needs and desires.

Thank you for the help.

On the Windows Server 2016 (SMB client), when the corresponding network drive is connected through the Windows Explorer, I can see with the Get-SmbConnection command that it’s SMBv2 that is used.

On the Isilon storage (SMB server), OneFS 6.5 supports SMBv1 and SMBv2 but not SMBv3.
I think there is no way to disable SMBv2 on OneFS 6.5.
On the other hand, the SMB version that will be used depends on the client's preferences.

So, I enable SMBv1 and disable SMBv2 on the Windows Server 2016.
But BE shows another error message: Unable to create the disk storage. Incorrect parameter.

What is curious is that B2Dtest succeeded with SMBv1 and SMBv2 while in BE the storage creation doesn't work. I wonder if BE doesn't force the use of SMBv3 or depends on features offered by this version...

Hello,

We have recently updated OneFS, from 6.5 to 7.1.1 which offers compatibility with SMBv3.
In BE, the storage creation now manages to finalize without error message.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for sharing how you fixed the issue