cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to erase ANSI media

garry_m
Level 3
 I have a win2K server running Backupexec 8.6 with a tape library attached and have been trying to recycle old media.
The media is reported as "ANSI VOL1: UOxxxx (BP)" after doing an inventory on it. The UOxxxx is a valid ID, however does not tie in with it's barcode label.

When I try to erase or re-label it, BackupExec fails saying media is write protected!

I have even moved the media from "Imported Media" pool after it has been inventoried to "Scratch Media" pool, to no avail!

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THarry
Level 5
 Hi Garry,
let me guess the situation you have,

The old tapes you are using, were they used in a DLT4000, DLT7000 or a DLT8000 tape drive? I am thinking DLT4000.
If so, is the new tape drive you are trying to format these tapes on a VS80 drive?

If it is, you won't be able to erase the tapes, as the VS80 doesn't support writing to tapes written to by a DLT4000.
The only way to use those tapes again is to get them professionally erased.

Veritas have a link about it:-
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245145.htm

Harry

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Brian_h1
Level 4
 Hello,  First, on the write-protected. Since these are old tapes and you are trying to re-use them, take one of the 'write-protected' tapes and make sure the 'write-protect' tab is in the proper position

Brian

THarry
Level 5
 Hi Garry,
let me guess the situation you have,

The old tapes you are using, were they used in a DLT4000, DLT7000 or a DLT8000 tape drive? I am thinking DLT4000.
If so, is the new tape drive you are trying to format these tapes on a VS80 drive?

If it is, you won't be able to erase the tapes, as the VS80 doesn't support writing to tapes written to by a DLT4000.
The only way to use those tapes again is to get them professionally erased.

Veritas have a link about it:-
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245145.htm

Harry

SPE
Level 2
We had a similar problem when trying to re-use older tapes in a different drive. We ended up just getting new tapes. Thanks for the web address as well Harry!

Cheers,

Sean