cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find dvr-ms files??

Andrew_Bienhaus
Level 3
Oddest thing.
I know it's not critical corporate data, but I wanted to backup the Vista media centre.

I thought it ran through it pretty fast, so I checked, and it skipped all of the recorded TV.

I went hunting for an exception list in BE 2010, but cannot find one.

Did a manual job, and selected 5 specific recorded TV files.
Job ran, failed, with the following error....

file \\server.domain.co\d$\recordedtv\tvshow.dvr-ms was in the backup selection list but was not found

any ideas?
think maybe the vista box OS is blocking the backup of it??? (seems very strange)

Andrew
6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
I would think that recordings saved on the DVR are probably movies and other stuff that have some sort of digital rights management invoked. There may be problems to record via IEEE-1394 from that aspect.
more on its not an issue with backup exec as i am sure even windows backup utility will fail to do so ...
please mark the post as resolved if it answers your query

Andrew_Bienhaus
Level 3
Further digging, points to the idea that even though I am just backing up TV that is free to the air, MS has decided that I shouldn't be able to back up those files... go figure.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

So bottom line is you cannot backup dvr-ms files .
Please mark the post as resolved  if you have got the answer to your question .
Cheers!!!

Andrew_Bienhaus
Level 3
Well, sort of.

I'd like to know why Backup Exec can find a way to grab everything else... but not this.
Or are there other things too?

Is there a list of known things that you cannot (by agreement I assume) backup with BE?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Nope there is not any list like that . Even if you open a support case , it would be informed to you that if the Windows backup utility cannot backup then backp exec will not backup that file. If the windows backup utility backs that up fine then there should not be an issue with backup exec backing up that file .

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Any update on this post ? Incase if you have found any workaround do share it here , and mark the post a resolved . Cheers !!