cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find the metadata for a disk of the virtual machine

Marduk
Level 4

I hope you are well. I is generating the following error to support a VM. This server is a Windows Server 2008 R2 with a SQL database that you have installed the agent but within agent options have not changed anything. that VM is added in an ESX 5.0 and is working on a SAN transport mode with block allocated to support the GRT technology. Please your help to take three weeks to not reviewing the documentation solutions and do not understand that part of the solution. please help.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129185

NOTE: CAN EXPLAIN WHAT IS THIS PART? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND

Solution

Do not use this special character in the password for the account used to backup the virtual machine or in the virtual machine name or directory.

WORKAROUND:

Disable File Level and Application GRT in the backup job.
OR
If using vCenter, try to backup the virtual machine through the ESX or ESXi host instead.

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As I had posted on your original thread https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/jobs-failures

If you look at the Virtual machine name TCPV359-48 IIS%2fSQL that shows in the job log that you originally posted, there is a special character % in the name. Here are the possible solutions -

1. Try renaming the Virtual Machine (in Vcenter/Vsphere) so that it does not have any special characters like ! @ # $ % ^ & * and then attempt a backup.

2. Try to backup directly from ESX host instead of VCenter/VSphere

3. Disable all GRT (File and Application) and perform a backup of this VM seperately.

Marduk
Level 4

I will test with another server called BOG-SQL2. to support a virtual machine must also have installed the agent or not necessary.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Yes to perform GRT of SQL, you will need the remote agent to be installed.

Marduk
Level 4

and I have to modify the properties of the agent?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

I am not sureabout what modification you intend to make. I would say leave everything to default in job properties and perform the backup.