cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to perform GRT backups of Hyper-V guests to Deduplication folder

chris48
Level 4
Partner

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP4 to backup up our Hyper-V guests with the GRT option enabled but these jobs are failing since I have started using the evaluation license for the deduplication option.  Backups without GRT are successful as are file level backups, however I cannot seem to get the GRT backups working.

I have researched various articles but still cannot resolve this.  The error I get when the job fails is:

"V-79-57344-4611 - An error occurred creating or accessing the directory  specified for this operation. Ensure that the directory is accessible and can be written to."

I have followed this article (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH143339) and none of the 3 causes / solutions seem applicable to me.

I have tried to access //.pdvfs on the backup media server but cannot so don't know if this is permission related or not?

If anyone has any advice or help that would be great.  I have tried to raise a call with Symantec but as the version is an evaluation version at present they can't open a case for me unfortunately.  I need to get this working for proof of concept to see the amount of space that will be utilised for backups before we buy it.

Thanks

Chris

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try backing up to a disk storage and see what happens.

chris48
Level 4
Partner

Thanks pkh

I have previously been backing up to disk storage and have never had any issues with GRT backups so that all appears to be fine,

Chris

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

Are the non grt and file level backups also targeted to the deduplication folder?  

You can still calculate the the amount of disk space needed because the grt and non-grt backups take up the same amount of space, the only difference is is that the grt based backup does a "catalog" of the image.

BR

chris48
Level 4
Partner

They will be targeted to the same folder but I did want to get it working properly whilst using it as an evaluation.