cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to perform weekly backup

Vinnypie
Level 2

I am using Backup Exec ver 11D, build 7170 on an HP Proliant machine using a HP DAT72 USB external tape drive on a Windows 2003 (32 bit) server platform

Had the backup set to start at 10pm last night (17 Dec 2009) and should have been done this morning. However, when I came in I saw the following error:

Error category    : System ErrorsError             : e00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036

I look in the logs and it says there is an unrecognized device. However, I can do test runs and inventory tapes and such from the device, but when I go to backup, nothing.

From there I clicked on the 283866: Tape backup jobs fail with the error 0xe00084f4 or 0xa00084f4 "An unknown error has occurred" link and went through the prescribed troubleshooting. It didn't work. When I went to the next step, it brought me back to the initial screen of troubleshooting.

My problem is this, when I try to run the backup now, I get the e00084f4 error. When I try to troubleshoot, I don't seem to get the steps I need to correct this. I have inserted a copy of my device configuration and do not know where to go for further assistance. I have associated the backup to the administrator logon and it works if I go to the backup-to-disk folder option.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. I'll give whatever information that is needed.
2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Vinny

Are you using a GFS policy that was set up via the wizard, or manually? If manually, I'd start by checking that the rules are set correctly to run your Weekly backup with a preference over Daily backups if they clash.
Furthermore, check your Weekly backup job as well to make sure it's pointing to HP1 and not All Available Devices. I tend to do this to prevent BEWS from backing up to something else, or not finding the device.

Laters!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Any news here?