cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore Exchange Mailboxes

Not applicable
I have a Dell PowerEdge 6500 that is running MS Exchange 2000. We are using Backup Executive for Windows Version 9.0 with the Exchange options installed on it. We backup to an external Dell DDS4 drive.

Just the other day I restored some contacts within a mailbox. Today I was restoring a mailbox that was deleted after an employee left the company. The restore ran for aprroximately a minute and a half.

It then failed with the error: "The data being read from th emedia is inconsistent. " The error code is a00084ca

I've tried restarting services, different tapes, different options within the restore setup, rebooting the tape drive, backing up different mailboxes. I have not tried rebooting the server yet, due to the server needing to be up. I am however, able to restore something on the C: drive so it doesn't seem to be a communication issue.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
2 REPLIES 2

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
H,

The error(a00084ca HEX The data being read from the media is inconsistent) generally occurs due to following reasons:

1. Device being faulty
2. Bad media
3. Incorrect drivers
4. Incorrect SCSI configuration

Follow the steps given below to resolve the issue.
- Download and install latest Veritas driver from following link.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/2724747

- Clean the drive with cleaning tape. Try using different tape (new tape).

- Try performing erase operation.

- Download and install latest firmware from backup device manufacturer's web site.

- Stop "Removable storage" service and change startup type to manual.

- Install OEM drivers, stop Backup Exec services.

Try backing up with Windows NT and 2000 native backup utility. Observe the results. If you encounter similar errors in Windows NT and 2000 native backup utility then you may need to replace/repair the drive.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Could be due to bad media, SCSI or some other hardware issue.