cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore data - The media identifier does not represent a valid medium

Codders
Level 4

Hi there,

We're using BUE 2014 SP2.  CAS server and two MMS servers.  Backups run to MMS server A and duplicate to MMS server B.  I can restore data from MMS server A but not from MMS server B.  The error returned is:

The media identifier does not represent a valid medium

So whilst I can get my data from the first server, the second server is my DR site - so I need to be able to recover the data from this box.

Any help will be gretly appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Danny,

Check the TN below and see if it helps you at all:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136064

What it is recommending is starting the BEDB from scratch again so take note of that!

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...also try rebooting the media server giving you this issue.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What type of storage is being used at server B ?

Have you tried to inventory and then catalog the storage media ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using Deduplication Storage (with Optimized Duplication) on the two MMS servers or trying to do this with Shared B2D?

Codders
Level 4

Thanks everyone.

Restarting the second MMS server hasn't helped (I've also restarted the first MMS and the CAS server for good measure).

Catalog and inventory also hasn't helped, unfortunately.

Colin - I am using Deduplication Storage (with Optimized Duplication) on the two MMS servers.

What surprises me most is that our installation of BUE2014 is new - we're only just putting data to the servers.  I'm glad that I'm testing the process so thoroughly because so far I'm getting new issues every night (I'll raise these as a different discussion) - hence the thought of having a corrupt BEDB seems bizarre (I have performed a repair on the CAS BEDB BTW)

Thanks,

Danny