cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to run B2D job by using BE 2010 Quickstart with Dell RD1000

Max_2
Level 3

Hi,

I have a stand-lone workgroup server which is running Win 2003 X64. I am using BE2010 quickstart with Dell RD1000 to do the backup job. I create B2D removable backup to folder as backup destination.  the backup job was not even to backup local drive. It failed about 1 minutes when job start. It complians about " Backup of local resources failing with Remote agent error "0xe000846b- The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent"

I did google it, but I can not find any useful help. why it always compalin about remote agent thing when I try to backup local drive of server. The server is in the network, but it did not login to domain. It login locally. Can anynoe help me to identify the issue? Please. Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

job log error & debug logs all point to same error as outlined in this KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65776

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

VJware
Level 6

The remote agent (RAWS) is used for local & remote backup as well...Check for any port conflicts on NDMP port 10000

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

"why it always compalin about remote agent thing when I try to backup local drive of server."

Since v9 (I think) all data access on any machine, local or remote, is accomplished by the "Remote"agent Installed on that machine

Max_2
Level 3

I did run netstat -b -a, but I can not find any port using 10000. anyway I can assign port to NDMP?

Max_2
Level 3

I did install remote agent to the server, but it still complains about the same thing. any idea? Thanks in advance.

VJware
Level 6

the backup job was not even to backup local drive  OR why it always compalin about remote agent thing when I try to backup local drive of server

Would u pls describe your environment a bit more specfically ?

Are you backing up a local or remote server ?

If remote server, is this server not part of the domain ?

If local media server, is this server not part of the domain too ?

Sush---
Level 6

If you are backing resources from local server then there is no need to install Remote agent seperately as it already gets installed with Backup Exec software on Media server (Backup Exec Server)

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Can you try to create a normal Backup to Disk (B2D) folder on your local drive (not RD1000) and try to backup some data to this B2D and see if that is successful or not.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Max_2
Level 3

I am backing up local stand-alone server, not remote server. It is locla media server. The server is not part of domain, but it did connect to internet. It is in workgroup. Thanks.

Max_2
Level 3

Hi Sush,

Originally I did not add remote agnet to backup, but It shows error like the one I post it. I thought it is remote agent license issue, that is the reason I add remote agent option to media server, but obvious it shows same error again. therefore I rule out the remote agent option. Now It is local media server and all i need to do is backup all local drives to B2D folder. Please advise. Thanks.

Max_2
Level 3

Hi Sush,

I did this alreday, I create local B2D as well, and try to backup to there, It give me same error messgae. Thanks.

Sush---
Level 6

EDIT Step already tried.

Thanks,

-Sush...

VJware
Level 6

Ensure the RAWS service is using Local System Account..

Also, edit your selection list & check under view selection details for any duplicate entries...better still, try creating a new selection list & re-try...

Max_2
Level 3

Hi Vjware,

RAWS is using local system account.

and I did try to recreate other simple job from my C drive (one folder only) to backup, but it make no difference. backup job only ran about 30-32 sec, then same error messgae come out.

Thanks.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee

Max:

Please try the steps outlined in TECH24256, these should help resolve your issue.

Sush---
Level 6

Go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec and run the SGMon.exe file.

Select Job engine, RAWS, Backup Exec Server service, device and Media..... and Capture to File and minimize this window.

Run the job again ...... now when the job is completed stop the smon debugging by clicking the Stop button (square button below Help)

Please upload the Sgmon.log file from the location C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs

Thanks,

-Sush...

Max_2
Level 3

Hi Sush,

Here is log file. Thanks.

Sush---
Level 6

From the logs following looks to be the probable errors:

BENGINE:  [12/02/11 15:48:08] [3164]     ERROR: ndmpcSendRequest(): timeout waiting for reply from control connection
BENGINE:  [12/02/11 15:48:08] [3164]     ERROR: ndmpSendRequest failed:
BENGINE:  [12/02/11 15:48:08] [3164]     NDMPAgentConnector::SetupConnection: connectOpen failed on server EPACBIEMTSNODE.
BENGINE:  [12/02/11 15:48:08] [3164]     NDMPHostBackupEngine:ConnectToDataServer() failed for machine EPACBIEMTSNODE. Skipping BSDs for this machine.
BENGINE:  [12/02/11 15:48:08] [3164]     TAPEALERT: Get TapeAlert Flags Return Code = 0X0

First the control connection is established but then later it drops.

Max, can you confirm under which accout are all Backup Exec services running....

Let all be services be running under Administrator account..... like servername\administrator (as this is not in domain)

and let Remote Agent service be running under Local System account.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Max_2
Level 3

Stiil no luck, after try all steps the docs mention it . change different port and Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range from tool-options. Please help.

Max_2
Level 3

basically, that what i am seting up originally, but it did not work.  let me switch back what you suggest it and run the debugging tool again. see how the thing goes. Thanks.