cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to select Oracle DB for restore

Ross_Luker
Level 3

Hi,

We have Backup Exec 2010 rev 2896, and one of the things we backup is an oracle database on a separate server using the BE Oracle agent.  The backup shows as successful every night, both full and differential backups, and the job log shows there's data in each backup too.  However, if I try to restore that database, I can't see it to select.  I look in View by Resource (no other view works for Oracle, apparently), and the db is in the selection list.  Upon opening it, it asks for the correct login account, so I select the Oracle sys account used for the backup, and I see Current Database [Open] and Control Files.  I understand that then underneath those should be the various media that contain the backup, however neither current database nor control files show anything - they're greyed out with only "No selections exist for this resource" showing in the right pane.

Does anyone know why this might be?  I'm becoming a little panicky that we might not be able to recover this database if it goes wrong!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ross_Luker
Level 3

Hi All,

Upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 R3 cleared the problem.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the backup on Tape or Disk? Have you duplicated the backup job to a disk?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can only choose Oracle restore selections from the View by Resource tab on the Restore Job Properties dialog box. The View by Media tab displays backup sets, but you cannot browse or select the contents.

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24304

Ross_Luker
Level 3

I did mention in the original post I was using the View by Resource view...

Ross_Luker
Level 3

Amol,

The backup is straight to tape.  It's not an issue of cataloging - there's a month's worth of backups done for this database, and I can't even see the selection for the backup done an hour ago!  I'm not sure how b2d would make a difference, but I'll give it a try.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

My Bad.. :( .

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56628

Is this issue happening with all the oracle backups set or a specific backup set ? Is there any filter set for the dates in the restore selection list ?

Ross_Luker
Level 3

We only backup one Oracle instance (in one selection list, applied to a policy which runs differential backups in the week and full at the weekend), but that one instance is completely unavailable for restore.

Thanks for the link, but we have sotrage-media based catalogs turned on already

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Faced similar issue recently ..upgraded to BE 2010R3 and was able to select db for restore

with new jobs after R3.

shiyu
Level 2

Do you had found the reason? Faced similar issue recently  Faced similar issue recently  I II

I faced similar issue recently .Can you tell can you share your solutions?tks

samrish
Level 2
Employee

@Ross Luker did you try creating an Oracle Instance(with the same name as the original instance name) on the server first and then generate the View by Resource. Backup Exec will need an instance to generate the restore view.

Thanks,

Amrish.

Ross_Luker
Level 3

Hi All,

Upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 R3 cleared the problem.