cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to start Backup Exec Services after stoping before upgrading my tape drive drivers.

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi All,

We are using HP DAT320 Tape Drive for our Backup. My Tape Drive Drivers are old and I wish to upgrade them, because we are unable to compress data properly.

After consulting HP they suggested me to download the L&TT tool and run it to test the compression. So I downloaded it. They also suggested me to stop all Backup Exec Services before running that tool. I stoped all the Backup Exec services. I ran that tool.

Now I wish to start Backup Exec Services again. When I try to start the Backup Exec Application,  I am getting errors like "The Backup Exec Server system service is not responding. The service is not running or not installed." Then I tried to run the services manually from services.msc, there I was able to run two services only i.e.,"Backup Exec Error recording Services" and " Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows System".

The remaing services gave me the error "1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

Could any one guide me how to start again this Backup Exec Application?

Thanks,

Ram.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

In your case I saw the issue was with wrong password or change password by you so backupexec services was giving log on failure

When you updated the password then it was the issue with lugetupdate.exe which was in task manager so yes if beserver service is not starting you can try looking for that process & then kill it & that still doesnot start the service mean you need to find the root cause so in that case you trace it by running in console mode or by checking error in application tab of event viewer

About your tape drive issue , I don't think it was realted to services failure & yes if your tape drive is old then you can update the firmware , you can also call you h/w support if it is supported to ensure you are updating the right firmware & drivers

Hope this helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please check if SQL service is started & if it is started please try to start device & media service . If that serivce is failing to start please note down the error in application tab of event viewer & post it here

Thanks

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I observed the SQL Service, it is started. Then I try to start device & media service. I got error message 1069: The service didn't start due to logon failure.

I didn't find any event in the event viewer for this application.

Regards,

Ram.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please right click on device media & then click on log on & then enter the domain\username & correct password & then apply & ok & then try to start the service & should work fine

Also please do the same step for beserver ,job engine & agent browser & when all the services are started please open backupexec & then click on network log on account & then click on edit to your default log on account & then renter the new password

Also if you can use this document to resolve the issue

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH82969

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31415

Thanks

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi,

I followed the method, but when I tried with "Backup Exec Server" it started and stoped immediately stating if some services are not used by services or program, it will stop immediately.

Then for remaining Job engine & agent browser gave the error 1068: The dependency service or group  fail start.

Thanks,

Ram.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

So when you change update the user name & password as like device & media , still beserver service is not starting

Okay in this case please open the command prompt & then go to backupexec directory using cd-c-program files-symantec-backupexec

Once you go to backupexec directory in command prompt please enter beserver -console & then please select the complete the o/p & paste it to notepad & then post it here

Thanks

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Hi,

If I run it, will it modify any my current settings in the backup exece?

Regards,

Ram.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

No it will not modify anything this is just to trace why beserver service is not starting so when you run it in console mode we will come to know .

Also please open the task manager on the Media server & then go to process & then look for lugetupdates.exe & if you see that process please kill it ensure when you look for process ,show process for all user is selected & then try to start the service if still it is not starting please run beserver in console mode as discussed above to see what is going on

Thanks

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Wow....I just kill that process and started the services. they started normally.

Shall I open Backup Exec Application now?

Thanks alot.

Ram.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes please open backupexec application now & follow the below link to update the password for your default log on account in backupexec

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31415

Thanks

Rk_Freak
Level 4

Dear Friend,

I am very much thankful for the support you have given me.

One change occured i.e., the previous monthly job which was in status as "loading media" is failed now.

In future if I need to stop all the backup exec services, to get it back do I need to follow the same steps?

My Tape Drive drivers are not updated yet. I could n't download the file from HP because they might have some issue with their site.

What is the root cause for this problem? Please answer me in a nutshell If you don't feel that I am asking too much.

It is my maiden operation on this Backup Exec.

With regards,

Ram.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

In your case I saw the issue was with wrong password or change password by you so backupexec services was giving log on failure

When you updated the password then it was the issue with lugetupdate.exe which was in task manager so yes if beserver service is not starting you can try looking for that process & then kill it & that still doesnot start the service mean you need to find the root cause so in that case you trace it by running in console mode or by checking error in application tab of event viewer

About your tape drive issue , I don't think it was realted to services failure & yes if your tape drive is old then you can update the firmware , you can also call you h/w support if it is supported to ensure you are updating the right firmware & drivers

Hope this helps

Thanks