cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use offhost backup on W2K8-R2/64bit 0xe0008532

reinma
Level 2

Hello,

I am working on this issue for month now and there is still no solution from Symantec. Has anybody worked out a workaround except the suggested one by Symantec not to use off host backup!? Why is there still this misleading description "To use offhost backup, Windows Server 2003, Datacenter or Enterprise Edition, must be installed on the media server and on the remote computer." while I have W2K8/R2 and offhost backup works on Standard Versions???

Full description:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347552.htm

I really need a solution as I have nearly only W2K8-R2 64bit Servers where I really want to do offhost backups.
Any suggestions?

I run BackupExec 2010/R2 on Windows Server 2008/R2 64bit (before Backup Exec 2010 was installed, I hoped the issue was solved with R2 but wasn´t) connected to a DELL Equallogic SAN with the latest H.I.-Tools.

Thanks in advance
Manuel

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In theory this issue is fixed in Backup Exec 2010 R2 (which is a no-cost upgrade if you own 2010 Licenses as the serial numbers are compatible)

Suggest you upgrdae to 2010 R2 - more information on R2 available here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/announcing-launch-backup-exec-2010-r2

reinma
Level 2

Thanks for the fast reply and the link but I already updated to R2 in hope that this issue was fixed. Version is: 13.0 Rev. 4164

Cannot find the issue in the table of fixed issues:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/announcing-launch-backup-exec-2010-r2

Manuel

Colin_Weaver

Hmm OK that is interesting - our internal information states that the fix for the original issue was included in the Beta of 2010 R2 - as such you might have a different issue with same error code - or the issue wasn't fixed.

The hotfix for 2010 (without R2) is still pending - howecver for 2010 R2 we might need a formal support case so we can dig a bit deeper into the issue to prove that either you have the origina l problem or that it is a different issue.

Colin_Weaver

OK I have checked internally BE 2010 R2 (Build 4164) has been confirmed by at least 2 customers as solving this issue.

Our engineering team did indicate that you must uograde the remote agent as well as install R2 on the media server.

They have also indicated that as we have confirmation that we did fix the previous known issue, that if you have upgraded the Media Server and the remote atgents correctly it must be a different issue with the same symptoms that we have not reproduced and we will need a formal support case to research what is different about your configuration.

Note I am assuming that the off host devices are supported by BE in the first place.

One other thought is Dell themselves are sometimes aware of settings on their devices that have to be made to get the offhost working - as you appear to have a Dell device, have you spoken to their support?