cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11d on windows 2003

devavamar
Level 2

Hi,

I tried to remove backup exec 11d from a windows 2003 server following a smilar post. https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/uninstalling-backup-exec-windows-servers-11d

I removed all the files/registries that was menioned except the ones that I couldn't find.

Backup Exec 11D for WIN2003 SP2

1. Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11

2. Stop all Backup Exec services, SQL Server (BKUPEXEC), MSSQL$BKUPEXEC, and MSSQL$BKUPEXECDLO services

3. Remove the following Backup Exec registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\DLO
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CRF
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\VxPush

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Symantec Backup Exec 11.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SCSIChanger
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\(delete each key in the list below)
Backup Exec
BackupExecAgentAccelerator
BackupExecAgentBrowser
BackupExecDeviceMediaService
BackupExecJobEngine
BackupExecRPCService
SCSIChanger

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\ExtensionAgents\(delete each key in the list below)
Value key: Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\SNMP\Events
Value key: Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\SNMP\TapeAlert

4. If using a SQL instance other than the BKUPEXEC instance:
Detach BEDB database.  Refer to SQL documentation on how to detach a database from a SQL instance.
Delete BEDB files bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf from SQL instance data and log folders.

5. Remove all Backup Exec files from install directories (Note: %SystemRoot% is typically C:\Windows)
Backup Exec Installation Directory
The default installation directory is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec
Backup Exec Maintenance Installation Files (if present)

%SystemRoot%\Installer\{BEA465C8-2923-42C6-9141-BE44739A6A80} (32-bit system)-couldn't find it in the said location but instaed found this {EAB0C0F9-B57B-4865-91A3-DE3B34B1FB02}

%SystemRoot%\Installer\{ACE16FD9-EB87-42F4-9CB5-6FA8C820C9CD} (64-bit system)
Backup Exec Drivers located in %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers
*.VSD (all files with a .vsd extension)
SCSICHNG.INF
SCSICHNG.SYS
oemtap.inf-couldn't find it in the said location 
oemtap0.inf-couldn't find this in the said location

6. Remove SQL Express BKUPEXEC and BKUPEXECDLO instances through Add/Remove Programs.
Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (uninstallation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 should remove this item)
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer (uninstallation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 should remove this item)

7. Delete the Backup Exec icon from the Desktop.

8. Delete the Backup Exec program group from:
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

Excpet for the above three marked BOLD everything was successfully removed.

Howevere when installing BACKUP EXEC 2014 we are still getting this error.

I did not try Windows Installer Cleanup Utility as it is no longer supported by microsoft. Could one of you please suggest what else can be done?

Thanks

AR

2 REPLIES 2

devavamar
Level 2

Hi could one of you please take a look? Its really urgent.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This is a community forum where contributors answer if they can whilst support staff (such as myself) do monitor these forums, we can also only give specific answers and advice where an issue is clearly identified.

Unfortunately your issue is not clearly identified especially as you appear to have already looked into the sort of items we would suggest you try and the next step would be a formal support case and not a forum post (assuming you have a support agreement)

I can give you a recommendation however:

If you are moving to a newer version of Backup Exec you should consider newer operating systems and 64 bit server hardware as backup processes tend to need more resources and abilities than are offered by older hardware and OS versions. In the latest version of Backup Exec (15) , we no longer support 32bit hardware or Windows 2003 for the Backup Exec server itself and Microsoft have also discontinued support for 2003 .