cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11d

RickJensen
Level 2
Can anyone help me do a complete uninstall of the software? I'm not totally sure what is wrong with the current install as I had nothing to do with it, but I'd like to get back to square one and start from scratch.  Thank you in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

You should be able to remove Backup Exec from Add/Remove Programs.

However, in case you have problems there, here is a tech note on performing a manual uninstall:

How to manually uninstall Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287320

RickJensen
Level 2
I get nothing when I click that link, cannot find server.  Are there any other locations I can find it at or can someone email it to me? Thanks

Morph27
Level 4
Looks like I'm not the only one having problem accessing support.veritas.com site. Is the site down?

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited

We’ve been having issues with our web site today. I’ve been told that if you flushed your dns cache that should be able to access the web site.

If not, here are the instructions:

There are two methods to manually remove Backup Exec 11d:

Method 1

1. Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Symantec Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers.

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility can be found at the following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

After removing Backup Exec via the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:

·         Backup Exec will still appear in Add/Remove Programs
·         All Backup Exec services will still be present
·         Backup Exec may still be operational

2. Reinstall Backup Exec 11 with same settings as the previous installation.

This process will replace any missing or corrupted files and registry keys and a complete re-configuration.
When prompted to select a BEDB database server select the same option as the prior installation.

3. Uninstall Backup Exec 11 through Add/Remove Programs.

Method 2 (use if Method 1 is unsuccessful)

1. Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11
2. Stop all Backup Exec services, SQL Server (BKUPEXEC), MSSQL$BKUPEXEC, and MSSQL$BKUPEXECDLO services
3. Remove the following Backup Exec registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\DLO
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\CRF
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\VxPush
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Symantec Backup Exec 11.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SCSIChanger
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\(delete each key in the list below)

·         Backup Exec
·         BackupExecAgentAccelerator
·         BackupExecAgentBrowser
·         BackupExecDeviceMediaService
·         BackupExecJobEngine
·         BackupExecRPCService
·         SCSIChanger

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\ExtensionAgents\(delete each key in the list below)

·         Value key: Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\SNMP\Events
·         Value key: Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\SNMP\TapeAlert

4. If using a SQL instance other than the BKUPEXEC instance:

Detach BEDB database.  Refer to SQL documentation on how to detach a database from a SQL instance.
Delete BEDB files bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf from SQL instance data and log folders.

5. Remove all Backup Exec files from install directories (Note: %SystemRoot% is typically C:\Windows)

Backup Exec Installation Directory

·         The default installation directory is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

Backup Exec Maintenance Installation Files (if present)

·         %SystemRoot%\Installer\{BEA465C8-2923-42C6-9141-BE44739A6A80} (32-bit system)
·         %SystemRoot%\Installer\{ACE16FD9-EB87-42F4-9CB5-6FA8C820C9CD} (64-bit system)

Backup Exec Drivers located in %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers

·         *.VSD (all files with a .vsd extension)
·         SCSICHNG.INF
·         SCSICHNG.SYS
·         oemtap.inf
·         oemtap0.inf

6. Remove SQL Express BKUPEXEC and BKUPEXECDLO instances through Add/Remove Programs.
Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (uninstallation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 should remove this item)
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer (uninstallation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 should remove this item)

7. Delete the Backup Exec icon from the Desktop.

8. Delete the Backup Exec program group from:
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

9. Reboot the system.

frnkblk
Level 3
Uhm, no kidding....seer.support.veritas.com doesn't resolve...perhaps the TTLs have to expire on the DNS server.

These two websites check DNS propagation:
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/cgi-bin/dns-propagation-tracker.pl?domain=seer.support.veritas.com&type=A
Only two of the random 10 responded.

http://www.mob.net/~ted/tools/dns.php3?domain=seer.support.veritas.com&Look+up=Look+up
Only one of the 15 responded.

Frank

Message Edited by frnkblk on 06-08-200712:51 PM

frnkblk
Level 3
The DNS for that domain is now resolving....

Frank