cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown error message from a first time poster "Service is not running"

RobMcP
Level 2
Hi can anyone help with an error message?

Apologies if I am in the wrong discussion it's my first, and I'm sure it won't be my last.

I am running BESR 8, and this morning (after the usual successful backup) I see in the systray the following:

Small icon with a yellow flag on it.

On hover this text is shown.

"Symantec backup exec system recovery, Status: disconnected, unable to connect to the service agent: service not running"

Can anyone help with further information or point me in a useful direction?
Thanks Phatt
5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Try by uninstalling the agent, and then reinstalling it to see if that clears it up.

RobMcP
Level 2
Sorry Craig, you're talking to Homer Simpson here, how would I uninstall/install that?

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
RobMcP,
On your Windows Machine having this problem;

From Windows's Start Menu, press run, type services.msc and press enter, or if you have Vista/Windows7/Windows2008, press Start, type Services.msc in "search programs and files", press enter, wait while it opens Services console.
From there, you can press the "Startup Type"  button, find which automatic startup type service is not running, if found one, right-click and press start.

If this error happens again, there might be bigger problem and you should check what log files says, but let's go there if problem appears again.

RobMcP
Level 2

Hi JT_T,

I tried that, I could not find any sercives that are automatic, and not running. The only symantect stuff running is

symantec symsnap vss provider and symsnap services I can't see anything else related to it tht is running.

do you (anyone) have any other suggestions?

Thanks Rob

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Go into Add/Remove Programs on that particular server, and then remove the agent. If you browse to your BESR server, you can install it from the installation files directory.