cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unnecessary email notifications

ctahell
Level 2

Hi,

I just would like to know if it's possible to reduce the number of email notifications from Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers? I haven't found any way to reduce the email notifications to certain types of actions. I'd like to receive email notifications of "Job Success", "Job Failed", "Job Completed with Exceptions" and "LiveUpdate Information" actions, nothing else. Now I'll have to receive email notifications from all actions, such as "Job Start", even those I cause interactively, such as "Label Library" or "Erase Library". Is it possible to adjust these settings?

Tapio

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In BE console, click on Tools-> Alert Categories->  Configure notifications for only those alerts

for which you would like to recieve email notification

ctahell
Level 2

Hi,

thank you AmolZeroCools for your fast reply! However, this doesn't work for me. My settings are the following:

Tools -> Alert Categories...

only the following Alert categories are set to "Send notifications to selected recipients": "Device Error", "Job Failed", "Media Error", "Tape Alert Error" and "Job Completed with Exceptions".

Tools -> E-mail and Pager Notification...

Under tab "SMTP Configuration" [x] Enable is ticked, SMTP mail server is our mail server, SMTP Port is 25, Sender name is "Backup Exec ourservername" and Sender email address is "ourservername.noreply@ourdomainname", [ ] Enable SMTP Authentication is disabled.

Tools -> Recipients... (Configure Recipients)

there is just my entry, "Recipient Type" is "Person" and "Recipient Name" is my name. Person Recipient Properties are the following:

Under tab "SMTP Mail" [x] Enable is ticked, "Address" is my email address, no other settings enabled.

Tools -> Assign Recipients to Alert Categories...

only "Device Error", "Job Failed", "Tape Aler Error", "Job Completed with Exceptions", "Job Success" and "Live Update Information" are selected and attached to Recipient Type and Name. All the rest Alert categories are not checked in Recipient Type field.

With the above settings everything should be ok, but it isn't. These settings have been correctly for several months but still I have received all "Export Media", "Import Media", "Label Library" and "Erase Library" notifications, which shouldn't be sent to my email. Cutting categories just doesn't work.

Is there a programming bug in BEWS 12.5? Does this happen to other BEWS users?