Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrecognized dynamic disk

lhmreis
Level 1

Dear,

Would help to solve this problem.

I have a backup that is realize directly from VMware 5.5 environment, where you have a server with a disk that as Dynamic. Backup this machine, contain three drive (C:\, D:\, E:\), but only two (C:\ and E:\) are entering the backup.

When I ask to restore this D:\ drive does not appear to recovery.
In a Granular Recovery Unit D:\, I will not be able to accomplish.
I await your return.

See below.

120px_Unidade -D-SRV28.png

Unidade -D-SRV28-2.png

Backup Set Information

Family Name: "Media created 9/1/2015 7:00:06 PM"

Backup of "VMVCB::\\snbr1vct01.xxxx-xxx.ads\VCGuestVm\(DC)Datacenter_xxxx-xxx\vm\xxxxx_BR\SNBR1SRV28"

Backup set #1 on storage media #1

Backup set description: ""

Backup Method: Incremental - Back up virtual machine changes since the last full or incremental

The option to enable the restore of individual files and folders from a virtual machine backup was selected for this backup.

The Agent for Windows must be installed on the virtual machine to use Granular Recovery Technology to restore data.

Backup started on 9/1/2015 at 7:21:54 PM.

Backup Set Detail Information

Media Label: IMG000277

GRT backup set folder: \\br1dr4100.xxxx-xxx.ads\backup01\IMG000277

Transport mode 'san' was used for the read operation of the disk 'BR1SRV28.vmdk'

Transport mode 'san' was used for the read operation of the disk 'BR1SRV28_1.vmdk'

Transport mode 'san' was used for the read operation of the disk 'BR1SRV28_2.vmdk'

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'C:' on virtual machine 'BR1SRV28.xxxx-xxx.ads'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'E:' on virtual machine 'BR1SRV28.xxxx-xxx.ads'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'Volume{02cf18bc-94c7-11e1-a022-806e6f6e6963}' on virtual machine 'BR1SRV28.xxxx-xxx.ads'.

Backup completed on 9/1/2015 at 7:28:02 PM.

Backup Set Summary

Backed up 0 files in 4 directories.

Backed up 1 virtual machines

Backed up 3 virtual machine disks

Processed 14,621,853,176 bytes in  4 minutes and  50 seconds.

Throughput rate: 2885 MB/min

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

see if the following helps in reference to dynamic disks.http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200150

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If D:\ is configured as GPT- Dynamic, then GRT is not supported when using the Agent for VMware.

Link to BE 2014 SCl - http://origin-symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/SOLUTIONS/217000/TECH217478/en_US/be_2014_scl.html

The alternative would be then to backup the VM using the Remote Agent for Windows as if this is a physical machine.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If D: is GPT then it is supported by Backup Exec 15, although if E: is MBR you might then run into the issue in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH232268

Note we do understand the cause of the issue in the above technote and have the condition reproduced. We are therefore already in early testing of a solution that will be released in due course.