cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update SDR iso file needed?

Luca1
Level 3

Good morning all.

Just writing this post 'cause i cannot find the information i need on the web and on this community.

We have updated the version of Backup exec from 2014 to 15.

When the first backup went fine on the 2014 version, we created and burned the ISO file for simplified disaster recovery. 

Now that we have updated to version 15, do we need to update also the ISO file (burn a new one) or we can just keep the old one created with the 2014 version?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Luca

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The BE 15 SDR ISO is generated from a newer version of ADK and you should use this ISO for any BE 15 SDR restores. It has more capabilities, e.g. you would not be able to do SDR restores of Server 2012 R2 servers with the BE 2014 SDR ISO. If you run into problems doing SDR restores with the BE 2014 SDR ISO and you call support, they would probably ask you to try using the BE 15 SDR ISO What is the problem with generating a new SDR ISO

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

Hi Luca,

you can still use the Backup Exec 2014 SDR CD/ISO for recovering, however Backup Exec will inform you to create a new SDR CD/ISO in Home Screen.

If you restore a complete server/computer using 2014 SDR, Backup Exec will also show an information about the different versions of SDR in Job Log. 

Have fun
Spiros

Luca1
Level 3

Hi Spiros and thanks for your reply.

But is it a supported scenario? So in case i can't perform SDR i can call support?

Thank you so much.

Luca

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The BE 15 SDR ISO is generated from a newer version of ADK and you should use this ISO for any BE 15 SDR restores. It has more capabilities, e.g. you would not be able to do SDR restores of Server 2012 R2 servers with the BE 2014 SDR ISO. If you run into problems doing SDR restores with the BE 2014 SDR ISO and you call support, they would probably ask you to try using the BE 15 SDR ISO What is the problem with generating a new SDR ISO

Luca1
Level 3

Hi pkh, and thanks for your reply.

No problem with generating new SDR iso files, but i have to do it for maybe 50-60 customers.

Just to know if i have to do it or not. And i have to. :)

Thank you all for your support.

Regards

Luca

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You may only need to generate one image.  The default SDR ISO image can be used for any server provided the server does not require drivers which are included in the image.  If a server requires some special driver, then you need to generate an image which contains this driver.  Otherwise, use the generic image.

To forestall your next question, you would not know whether a server needs some special driver until you test a SDR recovery on it.

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

pkh as I understant he work as IT-Service having many costumers arround the world. 

So for each one he should create a new ISO/CD file in customer enviroment. 

Regards
Spiros

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. The same DVD can be used

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

How can he use the same DVD for all customers when one customer is in Milan and the other in Toronto?

A server is failure and he call the customer. Hello please insert the DVD and I will restore remotely the server.

Then he is on the need of new DVD/ISO file for every customer.

Regards
Spiros

Luca1
Level 3

The same DVD can be used if there is no need for special drivers. Is this correct?

And if i use the default DVD, does it will ask me for the drivers needed in the SDR procedure?

Luca1
Level 3

If i have to do SDR, i have to go on my customer's place. They are all here in north Italy.

My question is now: can i have only one iso for all of my customers? If there is a special driver needed (LTO, SmartArray, ecc), will it ask it to me when doing the SDR procedure?

or will i be stuck?

Thank you all.

Regards

Luca

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am referring to the SDR ISO image, not the physical DVD.  Of course, you need to burn a physical DVD for each customer if the DVD is to be stored at the customer's premises, but you don't have to generate a new image for each site.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are doing SDR restores to similiar hardware, then no extra drivers are needed as all the necessary drivers are in the backup.  If you are doing SDR restores to dissimiliar hardware, then there is a possibility that the new hardware would require some drivers which are not present in either the backup or the SDR DVD.  The restore would obviously failed to boot and you would have to generate a new SDR ISO image which has the missing drivers.