cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated to BE21 now certain services won't start.

coa_sysadmin
Level 2

Background:

We have a legacy standalone BE server with two autoloading tape drives attached to it with YEARS of backups. We recently configued a new virtualized server with disc to disc backups in our HC3 (hyperconverged) environment, and used our perpetual licensing on this new server.

Naturally, the old server started to complain about lack of licensing recently (it took awhile), and will no longer let us pull data from the tapes. On the advice of a Veritas Engineer I was recently in contact with, we upgraded the legacy standalone server using the trial download/license for BE21.

After restarting the server, select services will not start and as a result, the console will not open. (see attached screen grab)

The errors are indicative of "failed user credentials" for at least ONE service, and then "dependancy" failures for the rest... but how can the user credentials fail when the other services start just fine?

Help me get this working, there must be some legacy settings that need to be removed in order for this new BE21 to fire up properly... I just can't narrow it down.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PJ_Backup
Employee

It sounds like you've already checked the application event log for details of which service gets which error, but if not this is the place to start.

Comparing my own crib sheet of services and their dependencies (see attached JPG) with your screenshot, it looks like the Remote Agent for Windows that needs to start for the other two (management and job engine) to be able to.

However not all services should run using domain admin credentials, in fact the top four in my list:
 - SQL Server / Error Recording / Lockdown Server / Remote Agent for Windows all run under Local System.
I'm not sure if that is your problem but its a good place to start. Some of this information can be found in the following technote:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100027530 - List of Backup Exec Services - Service Names etc

Good luck..!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

PJ_Backup
Employee

It sounds like you've already checked the application event log for details of which service gets which error, but if not this is the place to start.

Comparing my own crib sheet of services and their dependencies (see attached JPG) with your screenshot, it looks like the Remote Agent for Windows that needs to start for the other two (management and job engine) to be able to.

However not all services should run using domain admin credentials, in fact the top four in my list:
 - SQL Server / Error Recording / Lockdown Server / Remote Agent for Windows all run under Local System.
I'm not sure if that is your problem but its a good place to start. Some of this information can be found in the following technote:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100027530 - List of Backup Exec Services - Service Names etc

Good luck..!

Yes, right after I posted, I tried changing those services to run as Local Account and checking off "Allow to interact with desktop" and the services started up immediately.

Not sure why this happened, where they switched to the domain service accounts, but I assumed the settings were grandfathered from the previous install.

Guess not.

Resolved.