cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade 10d to 12.5 - is MSDE instance upgraded also

Chris_Chapin
Level 3

Does the MSDE instance that was installed with BE 10d get upgraded to SQL Express 2005 when doing an in-place upgrade to version 12.5?  The Quick Install guide and the Administrator Guide do not mention if it gets upgraded. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_Chapin
Level 3

Thanks for the reply--

One thing though, to go from 10d to 12.5, you have to upgrade to 11 or 12 as a intermediary step.  You can not go directly to 12.5.   I tested upgrading to 11 and that was the part that the MSDE instance was upgraded.   

For any others out there in the same boat (going from 10d to 12.5), be sure to use beutility to make a backup of your database and store it in a copy in a location other than the default.  I also stopped all of the services and made a copy of the original MDF/LDF files.  Depending on your environment's number of jobs, devices and amount of history, the v11 upgrade will hang at a couple of points in the process and seem like it has failed.  My database is 56 MB, and the process took about 14 minutes, including 2 stops for about 5 minutes that showed no processor activity.

Do not use RDP (not even a console connection) to connect to the server to do the upgrade because the scripts will fail and you will lose your jobs, history, settings, etc..  If you must connect to a remote server to do this upgrade, use VNC or similar to log directly into the console.  If you do lose all of your settings, you can use the backups to get it back.

Fortunately I tested all of this on a lab system prior to upgrading my production environment so that I would know what to expect. 

-C

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Chris,

If the Backup Exec installer originally installed the MSDE instance, then it will handle upgrading that instance for you during an upgrade install.

If you are using your own instance, then the Backup Exec install will not upgrade it.

Chris_Chapin
Level 3

Thanks for the reply--

One thing though, to go from 10d to 12.5, you have to upgrade to 11 or 12 as a intermediary step.  You can not go directly to 12.5.   I tested upgrading to 11 and that was the part that the MSDE instance was upgraded.   

For any others out there in the same boat (going from 10d to 12.5), be sure to use beutility to make a backup of your database and store it in a copy in a location other than the default.  I also stopped all of the services and made a copy of the original MDF/LDF files.  Depending on your environment's number of jobs, devices and amount of history, the v11 upgrade will hang at a couple of points in the process and seem like it has failed.  My database is 56 MB, and the process took about 14 minutes, including 2 stops for about 5 minutes that showed no processor activity.

Do not use RDP (not even a console connection) to connect to the server to do the upgrade because the scripts will fail and you will lose your jobs, history, settings, etc..  If you must connect to a remote server to do this upgrade, use VNC or similar to log directly into the console.  If you do lose all of your settings, you can use the backups to get it back.

Fortunately I tested all of this on a lab system prior to upgrading my production environment so that I would know what to expect. 

-C

mvg
Level 3
Chris,

what happend whit RAWS, I need to reinstall them? and my license keys works whit new version of BE?