Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Backup Exec from Version 14.1 to 14.2

SachinC
Level 3

Hello All,

I am a newbie.

Backup Exec 14.1 is running fine.

I am trying to upgrade it to version 14.2 (Backup Exec 15). I am encountering problems at the initial stage where the Environment check is conducted.

Error

Backup Exec SQL Upgrade Check - Failed

I have checked the software compatibility list and SQL 2008 R2 is certainly on the list.

I fail to understand why the checks are failing.

7 REPLIES 7

SachinC
Level 3

Error as displayed

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the BEDB is indeed attached to a SQL 2008 R2 instance, then try updating the SQL instance first with SP2 and retry the upgrade.

If it still fails, pls attach the install log over here. Thanks.

SachinC
Level 3

It is not attached to the BEDB. And thats where the whole confusion begins.

I have tried runnning the environment check without an SQL server installed and still get the same error.

I can run Backup Exec 14.1 UI without SQL server setup on this system. 

I have been trying to just get the checks running without success.

VJware
Level 6

One cannot run BE without its BEDB attached to an instance of SQL. It can be a local or a remote instance.

To which SQL instance is BEDB attached to ? Local or Remote ? And what's the SQL version ?

It sounds like you have just the Remote Administration Console on this machine (as this doesn't require SQL) and if yes, then the upgrade is run on the machine where the actual BE is installed.

SachinC
Level 3

Thanks for your time VJware.

BEDB is attached to an instance on a remote SQL sever running SQL 2008 R2 SP1, this is what I am being told.

I will get back when I have access to that system and actually update it.

In the meantime, from the BE UI is there a way to determine which instance is connected.

SachinC
Level 3

I mean, can I determine where my database is setup without asking people around?

VJware
Level 6

There isn't any way from the Backup Exec UI. You can find a list of installed SQL instances in the services.msc applet or view them via SQL Configuration Manager or registry. And you can then connect  to a particular SQL instance using SQL Management Studio or SQLCMD to find out which DBs are attached to it.