cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Steps from 14.1 to 14.2

worldmac1
Level 2

Hi guys!  First timer here, and really need to make sure I am on track with this upgrade.

I will be upgrading our BE server version of 14.1 to 14.2. The server OS I am running is 2008 R2. I was looking for a way to back up the jobs, and catalogs should something go awry with the upgrade.  Didn't know if there was a BE tool hidden, or if I just need to copy my catalog folder to a different location for safe keeping?  Is there a BE upgrade checklist somewhere?  I've been looking for something like that, but no such luck as of yet.

Once I upgrade the server, I will upgrade my clients during a MX weekend soon, so that should not be a problem.

Thank you for any advice you can give me! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi, it's really simple: 1. Stop the BE services (all of them); 2. Copy the Data/Catalogs folders to another location; 3. Upgrade Backup Exec to the latest version and run LiveUpdate to install the latest Feature Pack and any subsequent patches; 4. Push-install the updates out to your remote servers. If you don't do so, you might get jobs completing with exceptions and a message that the RAWS agents need upgrading. Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Hi, it's really simple: 1. Stop the BE services (all of them); 2. Copy the Data/Catalogs folders to another location; 3. Upgrade Backup Exec to the latest version and run LiveUpdate to install the latest Feature Pack and any subsequent patches; 4. Push-install the updates out to your remote servers. If you don't do so, you might get jobs completing with exceptions and a message that the RAWS agents need upgrading. Thanks!

Thanks Craig!  I figuted it would be easy, but still never hurts to ask. :)  You were spot on and I had no trouble at all.  Now on to upgrading BE Server number 2 later this week. Thanks again!

selva4
Level 4
Employee

Just for an Example:

Current Operating system: windows server 2008 R2.

Current version of Backup Exec: 2014 SP2

Target version: Backup Exec 15 FP5 (Latest)

Before we start, make sure that you installed all the patches with the current version for Backup Exec.

Backup Exec version: 2014 SP2 + Hot fix 227745. (http://www.veritas.com/docs/TECH227745)

Note: Backup Exec 15 FP5 can only be installed in a 64 Bit Operating system.

Steps before formatting the partition:

1. Stop the SQL (BKUPEXEC) service in the services.msc
  2. Go to the Root folder for the Backup Exec (C:/Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec)
  3. Copy the Data and the Catalog Folder and move it to a safe location.
  4. Download the Backup Exec 15 FP5 software by logging into the veritas.com
  5. Install the package.

Run the program and

CraigV
...this was solved 2 weeks ago.

selva4
Level 4
Employee

Thought it was a new thread, Thanks anyways