cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from BEWS 11d to 12.5

Server_Dude
Level 2

Well, when I run the environment check, I get the warning about needing to have Symantec Endpoint protection installed on the server.  I currently have McAfee AV and Mcafee HIPS running on the server.  Do I really need to uninstall McAfee AV and HIPS and install Symantec AV and Endpoint protection for Backup Exec 12.5 to work? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you need to see in HIPS and/or McAfee where to put in exclusions for the processes as shown in the post above mine.

I HAVE had McAfee decide on its own (not sure why) that policies put in place to prevent active scanning on the media servers didn't matter anymore, and it started blocking the SQL service again. This necessitated putting the servers back into the policy again! Just be aware of that...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Server_Dude
Level 2

Sorry, I should have explained I am currently running BEWS 11d on Windows 2003.  I am preparing to upgrade this installation to BEWS 12.5.  When I run the environment check, I get an error saying I need Symantec EndPoint protection installed to continue.   Anyone have any ideas if continuing to run with McAfee AV and McAfee HIPS would be OK with BEWS 12.5?  I do not have a support contract, no money here to buy it either.

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Server Dude,

I don't think I've heard of this before. You should be fine,  but I would recommend excluding these process from the virus scan to prevent any thoroughput slowdown issues during your backup jobs. 

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\benetns.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvlsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkUpexec.exe

and on the remote servers Exclude:
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe

CraigV

...you don't need SEP...continue with the upgrade as per normal.

Make sure that HIPS doesn't block the BE SQL service, as I've had this happen before to me.

Also grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders before doing the upgrade so that you have a manual restore point!

Thanks!

Server_Dude
Level 2

Thank you Craig and Imosla,,

Craig, how would I do what you suggest with HIPS and BE SQL?  Where would I check for that or block that from happening?

CraigV

...you need to see in HIPS and/or McAfee where to put in exclusions for the processes as shown in the post above mine.

I HAVE had McAfee decide on its own (not sure why) that policies put in place to prevent active scanning on the media servers didn't matter anymore, and it started blocking the SQL service again. This necessitated putting the servers back into the policy again! Just be aware of that...

Thanks!

Server_Dude
Level 2

Thank you both, I did finally get BEWS12.5 installed.  I am not sure how to close out a thread.