cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Upgrade questions

mgerman
Not applicable

I am currently using Backup exec 9.1 on a Windows domain. I am using it to backup four Windows servers, primarily just data backups (no exchange, SQL, etc.). For years I have fought with this backup system to try and get reliable backups. I would get it to work for a while then I would start getting different error messages. I'm not going to go into detail about that.

I'm tired of fighting with it to keep it working properly & am in the market for an entirely new backup solution. I am willing to give the newest version of Backup Exec the first shot at my business IF symantec is interested in cooperating with me. I have downloaded the 12.0 free 60 day trial version and installed it.

I placed it on an entirely different system from the one that has 9.1 installed so that I can evaluate it without interfering with the other setup.

First problem, it won't communitcate with my 9.x version remote agents on the servers mentioned. I can't properly test the product without this capability.

So....ok, I'll get on Symantec's website customer support & e-mail them to see if there is a "trial" version of the remote agent to use in conjunction with the backup software. Wrong. "Backup Exec 12.0 is no longer covered by customer support"!?!?! What? I thought this was the "newest" version?? Geesh.

Needless to say, I am more than a little bit frustrated.

IF anyone at Symantec is interested in perhaps making a decent sized sale, please contact me with some solutions. This is as far as I'm going to take this, my next step is to look elsewhere.

Marty

0 REPLIES 0