Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 2010 R2 and "Please remove the media from the drive" message

Siegfried
Level 3

Hi,

All is in the title, after an upgrade to 2010R2 from 2010, i have this message:

"Please remove the media from the drive and click ok", if i don't click on OK, the job doesn't want to finish.

I've marked "eject the media aftter the job is finished" in this job.

Thanks for your help.

14 REPLIES 14

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

Have you checked the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23213

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Alternatively, you can uncheck "eject the media aftter the job is finished" and eject the media manually.

Siegfried
Level 3

Hi,

I don't have the media remove alert option in 2010 R2 ...

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Click on Tools->Alert catgeories, there is Media Remove with green question mark.

Siegfried
Level 3

Sorry, i don't have this option.

Here is a screenshot.

Thanks a lot for your help.

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

Some backup software does not like when we reboot the library with a tape in the drive. I do not know it this is the point.

Try to reboot the library withou a tape in the drive.

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Siegfried
Level 3

I'll try this solution this afternoon and i'll give you a feddback.

Thank you.

matt077
Level 5
Partner Accredited

when we do a reboot, we leave the tape in the drive and all seems ok, must come down to the unit

Andrew_Myers_2
Level 2

I have the same problem:

The backup is set to Eject the media after backup - Reason, so that the lay staff know that they can change the tape

The backup responds with Remove Media - Press OK etc. - I have set this to timeout after 1 min. - lay staff do not have acces to be able to respond OK, the option to Automatically respond OK is grayed out in the Alerts.

The backup Remove Media times out after 1Min.

The backup reports that The job was automatically canceled because it exceeded the job's maximum configured

I do not know how to proceed. I want the tape to eject and the job to complete correctly. I do not need a Remove Media alert. From what I have read this is not possible. How can this be?

Andrew

Siegfried
Level 3

I'm waiting for the solution, for this moment i've unckecked "eject the media aftter the job is finished" and i eject it manualy.

stonkin
Level 1

This is sooo annoying!

I've never had this issue with backup exec 12.5. going to 2010R2 you don't expect a stupid issue like this. And unless you press ok EVERY TIME that backup fails saying the RPC service was restarted, no further action is required.

Symantec! I do not want manually eject the tape every time a job completes! it's annoying as i run 3 jobs a day i change the tapes when it pops it out.

FIX IT!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Guys: I have hit the support flag for you, but I'd also like to push you to the Known Issues site within Connect. Check and see if the issue has been reported there, and vote for it...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-archiving/issues

JasonACS
Level 2

I have a new installation of 2010 R2 with this same problem.  The "Respond with" option is disabled.  Currently someone has to log into the console after every job just to click "ok".

Version is 13.0 rev. 4164 (all hotfixes and SPs afaik).  The tape drive is using the Symantec driver.  Very annoying problem.  Hopefully someone can save us.

JasonACS
Level 2

In the Administrator's Guide for 2010 R2, section "About automatic responses for alert categories" (p. 655) it says:

The Media remove alert is a request to acknowledge that media has
been removed from a tape drive. Most tape drives provide status to
Backup Exec when media is removed, which clears the alert. Other
tape drives do not generate this status and the alert must be cleared
with a response.

I'm going to start making some assumptions now.  The reason why most BE users haven't run into this problem is because their tape drive provides ejection status (or they don't use the job eject option).  Maybe more drives could be supported with the right driver.  Nonetheless, the autoresponse for "Media remove" was obviously intended for the rest of us.  They documented it, but didn't implement it?

CraigV, I didn't see it on the Connect site.  I'm sure by the time they acknowledge, develop, and roll out, 2010 will be replaced.  Going a different route, how do I get newer drivers from Symantec?  I read once it should come through LU, but I still have the driver from the original installation which is dated 2008.