cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 9.1 Questions and Concerns

Clayton
Level 3
I am about to upgrade to version 9.1 and have gathered info from Veritas support concerning the upgrade path and the pre and post steps in doing so.
However I have a concern...
Currently V8.6 is running on a Windows 2000 server.
The upgrade or install is going to take place on a Server running Win 2003 Server.
Now then the servers I currently backup all contain agents from the 8.6 install.
Do I need to uninstall those agents and then install the 9.1 agents?
Can I install over the existing agents? The reason I ask this is my time frame for this entire procedure is very limited, I need to do this as effortless as possible in a small window and have everything WORK...just like before.
The end result is this...if the new install proves to fail I will need to go back to the other server and get it going ASAP.
So what are my choices and best solutions?
FYI...version 9.1 is installed on the other server at this time, I have backed files up from the server it is installed on just to prove out that the tape drive and everything should be OK...
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Level 3
FYI Version 10.0 is out.

c2computer
Level 2
You need to upgrade the agents when you upgrade the server software. I upgraded mine by just running the command line install from each server, didn't have any issues.

Jason_K
Level 4
Clayton,

The upgrade process from 8.6 to 9.x is pretty seemless. Your database, and all job logs should convert fine during the upgrade process. I would suggest during the 9.x installation you choose to "Backup old data" (You will be prompted with this option) so if you need to revert back to 8.6 you can do it quickly with all the data from your 8.6 instlal still there.

In some situtations you may have to uinstall the remote agent prior to upgrading 9.1. This is only if the installation fails for some reason.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Jason

Brian_Ballenger
Level 4
As was mentioned, you should be able to push install the 9.1 agents from the media server. I have never had any problems pushing out the 9.1 agent over the 8.6 agent. So you should not need to uninstall the 8.6 agent.

If you do have to roll back to the 8.6 media server, you will need to uninstall the 9.1 agent on each server, and then reinstall the 8.6 agent. I believe that when you go backwards like this, you will need to reboot the remote machine after uninstalling the 9.1 agent, and before you reinstall the 8.6 agent.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
The concern regarding the upgradtion of agents has been addressed. If you have any issue revert with details