cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to R3

mccarron
Level 3

I am presently running BE 2010 R2 with SQL option on a server that runs windows 2008 and SQL server 2008 and is also used as a file server.  I have a free software upgrade to R3 available.  Everything seems to be working well with R2.  I am running B2D on rotating external USB drives.  Is upgrading worth the time and trouble?  Will I get any benefits? Are there any instruction for upgrading from R2 to R3?  I haven't been able to find any.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mccarron
Level 3

Thanks for the insights.  I've downloaded the software and I am going to do the upgrade this weekend

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

THe upgrade is a straight-forward procedure. Mount the ISO or write to a DVD, allow the autorun to run and then install BE. It will detect a previous version and you'd follow the prompts.

I'd suggest you get hold of a copy of the Data and Catalogs folders (stop the BE services to get this) before doing the upgrade. You can use your current licenses. If you upgrade, once the process completes, then run LiveUpdate to download and install the latest patches, and if you have remote servers, do a push-install to them.

BE 2010 R3 fixes a number of issues from previous versions, and it is the latest and greatest from Symantec in this suite. It might be worth your while to upgrade.

Thanks!

EDIT: Here are the upgrade steps you were looking for:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159557

Here are the BE 2010 R3 Release Notes that would detail the changes with R3...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4044

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Its always better to be on the updated and latest version. R3 has fixed most of the known issue of 

the previous version of BE2010

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Any future fixes would only be released for R3, not R2.  This is because users can upgrade to R3 with their existing licences and Symantec does not want to waste their effort on developing fixes for R2 when a fix for R3 is available.  It would be better to upgrade to R3 now, rather than when you are forced to upgrade to R3 because you need to fix a problem.

mccarron
Level 3

Thanks for the insights.  I've downloaded the software and I am going to do the upgrade this weekend