cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to 12.5 from 11.d and now we are unable to restore from the new backups. Can you help?

celt_j
Level 3

We have been running Backup Exec for a number of years without any problems, recently we upgraded  to 12.5 and now we are unable to restore any files, the restore fails with the error "the data being read from the media is inconsistent"
This happens in the 3 instances of BE that we are running in 3 x  different Windows 2003 Servers SP2 and with the latest patch applied. Also BE has been updated to latest patches and hotfixes with Live update.es

The tape drives that we use are 2 x IBM 3580 Ultrium 3 and 1 x IBM 3580 Ultrium 4, we used the latest Symantec drivers.

The funny thing is that if you pick an old tape from before the upgrade it restores without any problems. But the new Backups even though they are successful they fail to restore and gives us the above error every time. We get exactly the same problem in the 3 different servers.

Because of time constraints we don't verify our Backups and in any case the verify has allways failed either with 11.d or 12.5,  the error by the way is the same.

As a work around I used Windows Backup to restore from one of the above tapes and after installing the IBM drivers we were able to restore without any problems. So that proves that the backups are OK, is just the way  12.5 talks to these drives that seems to be the problem, any ideas? 

We Don't know what to do anymore apart from going back to 11.d, Can anyone help?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

celt_j
Level 3

Thanks Hemant,
I had tried that already and it did not work, Last night I stumbled on this document:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/191488.htm

So I sourced an Adaptec SCSI Card 29160LP 64 bit PCI-to-Ultra160 SCSI Card and after installing it and configuring the LTO3 on it, now it works.

I'm able now to backup & verify and also to restore without any problems.

Thanks very much to everyone that responded.

Case closed.

Regards

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are you using the Symantec drivers or manufacturer drivers?

Have you tried switching?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Ok, if the verify is failing, that is root cause we need to troubleshoot. If Backup Exec 11d was allowing you to restore some data which could not be verified, that really was not good. Now, Backup Exec 12.5 is failing your restore recognizing that the data is not consistent. Have you tried using new tapes? Does it happen in all types of data, meaning backup of all servers or just one server? Also, upgrade the NIC drivers on your Backup Exec server.

Thanks

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Also, check this tech note:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273455
Trying backup to a test backup to disk folder would be a good idea, just to isolate the media server and probably work on the tape drive or tape issues. Also, would advise you to check event viewer when the restore or verify runs, for any errors like event id 9, 7, 11 etc.

Thanks

celt_j
Level 3

Thanks for all the quick replies, but the problem is still there.
Ken,
Yes we do use Symantec Drivers, I only switched back to IBM drivers to prove that the units, tapes and backups were OK by using NT Backup to restore from those tapes and I was able to do it. So this proves that Backup Exec is backing up correctly even though the verify has allways fail for us now and in the past. With the IBM Drivers the same problem still happens in 12.5.

Hemant,
you might be right but like i said before all through the previous versions of Backup Exec going back a few years I think we allways had this verify issue. It might be due to the Tape Units that we use IBM Ultriums 3580, I have 2x LTo 3  and 1x LTO 4. I've checked the HCL and they are supported by Symantec.
Every year we do full restores from these tapes at a recovery site with different LTO Tapes units and we never had a problem.
The issue is definitely with the Tape Units and the wayBackup Exex 12.5 handles them now, it looks like 12.5 does not like them somehow or does extra checks that 11.d and previous versions did not do. Like I said it did not happen with 11.d and it does not happen either with a backup to disk. But  also it does not happen with NT Backup. NT Backup is able to read the tapes created with Backup Exec 12.5 and restore from them without any problems, the issue is it takes a couple of hours to catalogue the tape.

We have 3 instances of Backup Exec running in 3 different servers and I'm having the same problem in all of them. The servers are all IBM but there are different models with different SCSI cards, the NICS I don't think are a problem because in the tests I'm doing I'm backing up just a couple of folders in the C:\ and it fails with those also.
These are the errors on the BE and the event viewer:

Error category    : Backup Media ErrorsError             : e00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33994
Event ID: 34113
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "S7700145") (Job: "Backup 00063") Backup 00063 -- The job failed with the following error: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.
  For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Event ID: 34113
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "S7700145") (Job: "Restore 00173") Restore 00173 -- The job failed with the following error: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.
  For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Regards

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

I would possibly think block size as the cause. Please try changing the block size and buffer size to 32k. You can go to the tape drive property in the devices tab of Backup Exec and change these properties. Note your existing settings before you make this change. After making the change, check with a verify or restore job. Please let me know the results.

Thanks

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Make sure to use a fresh or erased tape after changing the block size, so that they take effect.

Thanks

celt_j
Level 3
Hi Hemant, thanks.
I did what you suggested, the block size was already at 32KB but I lowered the buffer size from 64KB also to 32KB then I picked a brand new tape, erased it but I'm afraid that the problem is still there. Any other settings I need to change?

Regards

Colin_Weaver
If you duplicate one of the affected backup sets back to a disk location, does the duplicate job work and is the data available to restore?

celt_j
Level 3
Colin,
yes if you back up to disk there is no problems and you are able also to restore without any issues.

The issue is between 12.5 and the IBM Ultriums 3580.  Like i said before this did not happen wit 11.d .

I'm going to try to use the Symantec 11.d drivers for the Ultriums instead of the latest ones to see if that resolves the problem. But  If we don't find a solution I'll have to revert back to 11.D.

Thanks for your reply

Colin_Weaver
If it backs up to disk OK and allows restores
Backs up to tape OK but gives an error on restore
and Backs up to tape OK and allows duplicate back to disk which can then be restored.
Then...
 It sounds like something that needs a proper support call for a full investigation rather than a post on a user forum that is contributed to by Symantec personnel.
Especially as if it worked in 11D it could be a new issue that needs proper research.

Just my 2p

celt_j
Level 3
Thanks Colin,
Sorry, but I don't understand this bit:
"and Backs up to tape OK and allows duplicate back to disk which can then be restored."
How do you duplicate back to disk?

Also we don't  have a support agreement and can't place call.

Regards

Colin_Weaver

OK I misundertood your Yes answer earlier (when I asked: If you duplicate one of the affected backup sets back to a disk location, does the duplicate job work and is the data available to restore?)

If you go the the Job Setup Tab in teh Backup Exec console and then in the side vbar (at the left) select "New Job to Duplicate Backup Sets" and then on the next screen select "Duplicate Existing Backup Sets" and then select one of your affacted tape sets (possibly using the View by Media Tab) and set the Device and Media to your B2D device before clicking on "Run Now"

Once this job completes does it:
a) fail with an error
b) complete but then when you can't see the restore selections when you attempt to expand the B2D created by the duplicate
c) complete and you can see the restore selections when you expand the B2D created by the duplicate.

Oh and it is possible that this forum may not be able to resolve your issue which is why I mentioned that a support case may be needed - if you don't have a support agreement you may have to consider getting one (even if it is just to cover a single issue and therefore not a huge expense.)

celt_j
Level 3
Thanks Colin,
I've just been pretty busy and haven' had the time to try the above. I've just done it now and it fails, the problem as i see it is between 12.5 and the tape unit. with 11.d it works with 12.5 it doesn't. I think I'll have to pay the money and call Symantec, my only worry is that they are going to say it is hardware related and they won't be able to help me.

So on second thought I'll think I'll revert back to 11.d and see if i can get the money back.

Regards

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Please go through following documents:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/284490
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278673

Temporarily you may try disabling fast file restore and check if that helps in your restore process. But, please make sure to re-enable it before running backup. Fast file restore can be used to verify a hardware problem as mentioned in first document.

Thanks

celt_j
Level 3

Thanks Hemant,
I had tried that already and it did not work, Last night I stumbled on this document:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/191488.htm

So I sourced an Adaptec SCSI Card 29160LP 64 bit PCI-to-Ultra160 SCSI Card and after installing it and configuring the LTO3 on it, now it works.

I'm able now to backup & verify and also to restore without any problems.

Thanks very much to everyone that responded.

Case closed.

Regards