cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from version 8.6

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
We have numerous installations of BackupExec 8.6 that I need to upgrade to version 11d. Can anyone provide insight on how to convert the 8.6 databases to the new SQL format????? I do not want to build any more new servers, nor I do I want to load 11d on a seperate server. Thanks in advance....
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Download the latest v10 or v10d install, and upgrade your v8.6 install in demo mode (no serials)

Then install v11d over that, and use all appropriate serials

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
I find this to be an unacceptable answer from Symantec. It appears to be a great deal of effort for very little gain, this functionality should either be; a) be a feature of all subsiquent version fof BUEXEC or b) an additional script should be provide by Veritas/Symantec to convert the catalogs. Ken thanks for the info (I didn't intend to shoot the messenger). My BackupExec archtecture is small and spread out at several different sites, so this means a great deal of extra man-hours for me to upgrade.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I understand where you are coming from, but from their point of view, v8.6 is three complete major versions old.

Would you expect them to also provide an upgrade from v7.3?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
Point well taken. I rummaged through my stuff and found a copy of 10d, so hopefully things will go smooth. However, wherever possible I plan to build a new server w/Server 2003 and keep the 8.6 installations around until the last tape expires.