cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading my Backup System, some help needed.

Level 3

Good Afternoon.

I hope you can help, at the moment my backup solution is very out of date and I need to upgrade to support new technology.

I currently have 2 Windows 2000 servers and 1 Windows 2003 server getting backed up by a Backup Exec 9.1 server onto an HP LTO 400 / 800gb drive. One of the 2000 servers has Domino 6.5.2 running and the 2003 server has SQL 2000 server running, the last Windows 2000 server is a basic file server.

All of these will be getting upgraded. All 3 servers will be upgraded to run Windows Server 2008 R2, My SQL Server will be upgraded to MS SQL 2008, and my domino will be upgraded to 8.5.2. Its been a long time since I looked at a backup strategy so could you give me a list of the BE products I will require to backup the above including agents ect. These will be backed up each night onto my LTO 400gb / 800gb Drive

I would also like to consider the following. Create Bare Metal Images of all my servers for Disaster Recovery purposes. Also I would like to be able to save file versions onto an external drive system, so if someone deletes a file I can restore it with current data instead of a day old data using the tape, if possible the same with SQL and Domino Mailboxes. I also have a windows Server 2008 Printserver that also runs the free version of MS SQL 2005 that I would like backed up aswell.

All help is appreciated.

Regards

Douglas Bell

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You will have to plan your backups from scratch as it not possible to upgrade from BE 9.1 to the 

latest version of Backup Exec. As per your requirement Backup Exec 2010 R3 would be the best

option. You will require below license keys to backup above mentioned resources.

1) BE2010 R3 core product license.

2) 1 Remote agent for Windows license per Remote server

3) 1 SQL agent per SQL server( Remote agent is included in the SQL license)

4) 1 Domino agent per Domino server.

5) If the tape device is a library then for every additional tape drive you will need a LEO license, support 

for 1 tape drive per library is included in the core product license.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Douglas,

Use the TN below which details how to migrate from your version to BE 2010 R3:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74418

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your situation, it would be easier to just install a fresh copy of BE 2010 R3 and then define your jobs again, rather than doing an upgrade.

Create Bare Metal Images of all my servers for Disaster Recovery purposes.

BE does not do bare metal recovery.  You would have to get SSR which is a separate Symantec product from BE.  They have a separate forum if you want to know more about the product.

Also I would like to be able to save file versions onto an external drive system, so if someone deletes a file I can restore it with current data instead of a day old data using the tape,

You can try using CPS for this purpose.  You would you need to set up a separate CPS server.  However, CPS does not support SQL databases or Domino.