cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading tape drives on MSL 6000

james2k6
Level 4
Hi,

We're running 2 LTO-3 tape drives in MSL 6000 at the moment.  I'm not sure what model it is exactly but it could be MSL6030 Library (AD608B) or the oldest model you could get for MSL 6000 series.  I can't seem to find any documentation on upgrading of the tape drives any where.  Is this library okay to be upgraded to run LTO-4 tape drives?

Many thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi James,

Can you close this off with the solution if it helped please?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For hardware upgrade, you should consult the drive manufacturer which in this case should be HP.

You should also check that LTO4 tapes are supported by your version of BE.

CraigV

Hi,

The MSL6030 is a 5U library, with a maximum of 2 drives/unit vs. the MSL6060 which is a 10U unit, with a maximum of 4 drives. These are obviously expandable, but only in terms of the slot count through add-ons.
Both drives are capable of running either LTO3, or LTO4 drives in the library via U320 SCSI or 4Gb FC connections.

The AD608B is an HP MSL6030 with 1 LTO-3 Ultrium 4Gb FC drive. You probably have the AD609B...this has 2.

It is possible to upgrade the drives, and you're then looking at the following:

HP MSL6000 LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 Tape Drive   -   AJ028A

I doubt you will have to upgrade the interface card, but I would suggest upgrading the firmware if you get the new drives.

Just confirm that part # (AJ028A) with your hardware provider. This can be verified in the document below:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/tapestorage/MSL_drivematrix.pdf

I would back up what pkh stated by checking that your version of BE is compatible with this LTO4 drive. The HCL for your version is readily available.

Laters!

james2k6
Level 4

When we first got the unit, it only came with one drive but with an upgradable slot for second drive.  We're running BE 2010 so I guess LTO-4 is supported.  Thank you all for your help.

CraigV
Great, would you mind closing off whichever post helped you as the solution?

Thanks!

CraigV
Hi James,

Can you close this off with the solution if it helped please?

Thanks!