cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to a trial version?

RoryBBellows
Level 3
I am running Backup Exec 10d on Windows Server 2008 (I know, I know - its not officially supported)

Anyway - it was running great for months and then all of the sudden we started getting stop errors on the server.  According to Dell, Backup Exec is causing all our problems even though they can't give any evidence to support the claim.  We are looking at getting the trial version of 12.5 to see if it solves the problem and then figure out where to go from there.  Is it possible to directly upgrade from a licensed version of 10d to a trial version of 12.5 or will this be setting myself up for disaster?  Uninstall and reinstall the safer way to go?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Forgot ot mention:

If you want to trial v12.5 before purchasing, be aware that any tapes made during the trial may not be restorable if yo u decide to revert, depending on what options you select.  If you just do plain flat-file backups you should have no problems

Ok, well assuming the 12.0 to 12.5 upgrade path, would the licensed version to trial version be of concern?

Not sure what you mean.  You can upgrade in Demo/Trial mode to keep all your local setup info, but the upgrade will only run for  60 days.  At that point you will either have to install one or more serials, or else revert to your previous version

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
v10d to v12.5 is not supported

You could upgrade from

v10d to v12.0 to v12.5   or   v10d to v11 to v12.5

RoryBBellows
Level 3
Ok, well assuming the 12.0 to 12.5 upgrade path, would the licensed version to trial version be of concern?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Forgot ot mention:

If you want to trial v12.5 before purchasing, be aware that any tapes made during the trial may not be restorable if yo u decide to revert, depending on what options you select.  If you just do plain flat-file backups you should have no problems

Not sure what you mean.  You can upgrade in Demo/Trial mode to keep all your local setup info, but the upgrade will only run for  60 days.  At that point you will either have to install one or more serials, or else revert to your previous version

Philip_D
Level 5
You probably won't be able to find a download of the 12.0 trial, just FYI.  You'll likely have to take the 10d > 11d > 12.5 route.

David_Grayston
Level 4
Old post but it is helping me with a migration from 10d to 12.5. I was holding out as long as I could with 10d but too many systems I can't backup completely now as I roll out W2k8 to our DCs. Luckily I was able to find an active link for v11d trial and I've downloaded it and installing it now...looks to be successful. Next I'll see if the 11d to 12.5 will be equally successful.