cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upon restore the folders were empty

Faishah
Level 3

Hi,

We have been backing up the same backup sets everyday as below screen, where its a full back of C and D drive and all of its folders and subfolders.

Daily Backup Setup.jpg

In recent event where we would like to restore certain date from certain folder, we retrieve that tape to obtain it. Did the inventory and catalog the tape. During the selection of folders to obtain the files, the folders were empty. There are not subfolder to be selected. Refer the screen below. As you see, the Profiles, Users, Shared Folder, Redirects folders should contain subfolder. 

Restoration of Folders.jpg

Looking at the size of the media, its approximately the same size of  Used Space on the server.

Media Properties.jpg

Any explanation to why this is happening? Or further advise how can we ensure everything that we backed up can be restored as is.

Other info: Windows 2008 using Symantec BE 2010 R3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In your previous post the DFS folders are selected through D drive thats the reason the folders are 

not appearing in the restore window under D drive. If the folders are selected through Shadow Copy

Components then in the restore window expand Shadow Copy and verify if you are able to see the 

DFS folder.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB

The right way to backup DFS data is by selecting the folders through Shadow Copy Components of the 

server.

EDIT: Refer to the below article to know more about DFS backup.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/dfs-and-dfsr-backing-your-distributed-file-system-backup-exec

Faishah
Level 3

It is already been selected as part of back up. How can it be restored?DFS.jpg

AmolB

In your previous post the DFS folders are selected through D drive thats the reason the folders are 

not appearing in the restore window under D drive. If the folders are selected through Shadow Copy

Components then in the restore window expand Shadow Copy and verify if you are able to see the 

DFS folder.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Folders under DSF are not backed up as part of a normal backup so your backup set would not contain any files in these folders.

I presume that you have not backed up the shadow copy component, so you would have nothing to restore.

Faishah
Level 3

Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback. We do full backup everyday including the Shadow Copy Component. Just didnt realise that the folders I was looking for are within its tree not on the D drive. I have managed to restore the folder that I wanted.

Thanks again.