cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UsageandHealthDataCollectionService Database not protected in Backup Exec 2010 SharePoint Farm backup

chris624
Level 3

I am currently using Backup Exec 2010 R3 to backup a SharePoint 2010 server farm.  The SharePoint server is a virtual guest on a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server with the Hyper-V role installed and the SQL databases also reside on the host server.  The SharePoint virtual guest is running Windows 2008 R2 Standard.

My concern is that following a full restore of the SharePoint server and the SharePoint databases, we encountered various problems trying to get it back to a decent and stable state.  One thing that has come to light from this is that there is a UsageandHealthDataCollectionService database in SQL and it was not restored in the SharePoint farm restore.  I had to bring it back from a previous SQL backup which was a week newer than the other restored databases.

On further investigation it appears that the SharePoint farm backup may not inlude this database as if I try to select the databases for backup in Backup Exec (under the Microsoft SQL Server node) all the SharePoint databases are greyed out and unavailable for selection as they are protected by the SharePoint farm backup, apart from the UsageandHealthDataCollectionService database, which implies it is not protected in the SharePoint farm backup.  Having spoken to our SharePoint administrator the Usage and Health Data Collection Service is not configured yet within SharePoint, so I don't know if this has anything to do with it - as the database is present, I would have thought it should still be included.

Does anyone know if I need to back this database up seperately or is there anything I should configure to get this included in the existing SharePoint Farm backup?  I need to be able to carry out a full disaster recovery on the SharePoint farm in the case of total failure.

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

From this blog

http://todd-carter.com/post/2011/04/26/Extending-The-SharePoint-2010-Health-Usage-Part-1-Feature-and...

it would appear that the above-mentioned database is for a Sharepoint extension which collects statistics and is used for statistics reporting.  It is not part of the Sharepoint farm per se.  As such, it is up to you whether you want to back it up.  Whether it is backed up or not will not impact the recovery of your Sharepoint farm.  You will just loose some statistics if the database is not recovered.