cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use 11d to catalog a tape made with 9.x

corby
Not applicable
Hello,

I am needing to locate and recover some data from old backup tapes that were created many years ago with BE9.x   We are currently running BE11d.

I can succusfully catalog the tapes, but the catalog process seems to read the entire tape to create the catalog.

I'm nearly certain that the backups were originally performed  using media based catalogs, and it would be nice if we could get 11d to read the media based catalogs.

Is there anyway to get 11d to read the media based catalogs from the tapes created with BE9.x ?   I have 50 plus tapes and trying to find the data that I need is taking a very long time due to the cataloging process.

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified
http://support.veritas.com/docs/286729

Stop all the backup exec services.

Copy the catalogs in to catalogs folder in "x:\porgram files\symantec\backup exec\catalogs\"

Run bemig.exe

Start all Backup Exec services.

Hope this helps.

MitchR
Level 6
I could be wrong, but I don't think that v9 had media based catalogs.  Reading the entire tape is thus par for the course.

If you have a library, you can get multiple tapes to catalog at once.  Select a whole bunch of tapes, and right-click, catalog them in one big job.

Yes, it's a pain. I've been there myself.

This is all assuming that you don't have any catalogs from a previous server, like when you're pulling tapes out of a vault from years ago.

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified
Here is one more article which explains how to migrate catalogs from 9x server to 11d or above :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/287063

UPGRADE CHART

Version Direct Upgrade
9 9, 10d, 11d
10d 10d, 11d, 12
11d 11d, 12, 12.5
12 12, 12.5
12.5 12.5

Hope this helps.

Matt_Alexander
Level 5
Hey corby, can you mark a response as a solution if it helped you? If the responses so far haven't helped, let us know.