cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BE 2012 trial but all links point to 2010 version on website

vxaxv17
Level 2

I am evaluating the Backup Exec 2012 trial version for future purchase.  I have set up some servers and storage and have created a few backup jobs sucessfully.  However i am getting a few "Completed with exceptions" messages when the backups complete.  One of them being:

Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.  Please check this link for additional information:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-18273.

When i click this link (or any other) it brings me to a solution for backup exec 2010 which has instructions which dont seem to correspond to the version I am running.  I am therefor unable to solve the problem because the instructions are invalid.

Anyone else seeing this or have any helpful information?
thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I know a couple of patches have been released for BE 2012, so run LiveUpdate to get these, and push-install to any remote servers you might have.

Some, or all, of the articles might point to BE 2010, but see if the solutions offered are relevant in any way to your issue.

You might also want to head on over to the Known Issues section to see if your issue is already listed. If it is, vote it up...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/issues

Thanks!

vxaxv17
Level 2

Thanks.

I originally thought that it might be the same solution as the 2010 version but either that is not the case or I am missing something.

Step 2 in the link I posted above says:

2. The "Use client-side deduplication" option has been selected in the backup job Properties in the Device and Media tab.  

But when I open the job properties there is no "Device and Media Tab" that I can find anywhere.  This is what led me to believe that the solution was incorrect (for the 2010 version instead of 2012).  Maybe im just not seeing the option though.

Anyone else have any ideas?

johnnybrian
Level 3

Hey! Have the EXACT same issue as you. Where are you on this one Symantec? What do we do? I even just want to use Server-Side dedup, but I cant enable it anywhere!

Jose_Vega_Coto
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

To select dedup on server side or client side from the backuo job, double click the job and edit the backup, in the storage tab (look for it in the left pane) you will have the option to select where you want to save the data, selecting the dedup disk you will have 2 radio buttons, the first one enables the job to perform client-side dedup and the second one let you use server side

Please check that the dedup disk configured in the Storage tap is client dedup enabled, you can check this just double clicking in the dedup disk and look for the client side dedup setting.

For clint side dedup be sure that the client has at least 1.5GB of RAM, if not the dedup will turn to server side

BE_EPM
Level 3
Employee

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!  I have requested an update to the knowledge base article so that it includes current information for the 2012 release. The URL should remain the same.  If you have any further questions after the update is available, please don't hesistate to reply on this thread.  I cannot give a specific availability date of the update, but you might check back within a week or so.

BE_EPM
Level 3
Employee

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-18273 was updated in mid-June to be current for the BE 2012 release; I hope it has been helpful.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Any documents written specifically for BE 2010 that have the same UMI (V-) code as something also seen in 2012 will unfortunately still show up in the links contained in the job logs in BE 2012 because the link is just a dynamic web lookup of the UMI code with no other filtering.

In nearly all cases the UMI code in 2010 vs 2012 should relate to the same problem/area of operation however because of changes in the console, it is possible that the advice given as solution/workaround may not exactly match.

Support does make an effort ot identify documents that need updating for newer versions, however identifying all affected documents is not a simple process and we do have to rely on customer feedback.

If you experience something like this. I'd recommend logging a formal support case as we can then:

a) help you with the condition

b) make sure the online articles are updated as and where needed

Note: There is work ongoing to try and only show documents that match the version, however there is a Catch-22 with this idea in that you might not then see something that whilst written for the earlier versuion still applies to a given prioblem.