cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BEMCMD to create backup job.

Backer_Upper
Level 2
I'm using the BEMCMD command to create a Selection List, Policy and Template to create a backup job. All commands complete succesfully and the backup job is created. All options I set are incorporated into the backup job except for two.

1. Automatic cancellation for the selection list -> AUTO_CANCEL_TIME = 720 isn't set.
2. The job uses the default media set -> "Media Set 1" instead of the one that gets created in the process.

I didn't have this problem with 9.x. Anyone know if this is a known issue that I don't know about??

Using the GUI to make these changes isn't an option..

Thanks..
14 REPLIES 14

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

It would be difficult to state any reason of error message without analyzing the data. To investigate the issue further, please revert with the information requested below:

- The exact script used to cretae the backup job.

- The outcome or the error encountered after running the script.

Thanks.

Backer_Upper
Level 2
Here's the script I run to create a backup job:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
bemcmd -v -o107

bemcmd -v -o101 -m"Full Backup" -op:-1 -ap:-1

bemcmd -v -o106 -ol:1

bemcmd -v -o106 -oo:0

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_GENERAL_ENABLESTATS -dv:1

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_JOB_CANCELTHRESHOLD -dv:720

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_BACKUP_MEDIAOVERWRITE -dv:0

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_CAT_TRUNCATEFLAG -dv:1

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_CAT_TRUNCATEDAYS -dv:60

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_CAT_REMOVEFLAG -dv:1

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_CAT_REMOVEDAYS -dv:90

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_MEDIA_OVERWRITELEVEL -dv:1

bemcmd -v -o300 -do:DO_MEDIA_OVERWRITEOPTIONS -dv:0

bemcmd -v -o220 -sDaily_Full_Backup_Selections -fbkjobselections.txt -d"Default Selection List"

sleep 3

bemcmd -v -o260 -fbkjobpolicy.txt

sleep 3

bemcmd -v -o264 -jDaily_Full_Backup_Policy -sj:Daily_Full_Backup_Selections

sleep 3

bemcmd -v -o35 -jDaily_Full_Backup_Selections-Daily_Full_Backup_Policy-Daily_Full_Backup_Template -jn:"Daily Full Backup"

sleep 3
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is job template (bkjobtemplate.txt) the above script calls:

/* BACKUP JOB TEMPLATE SCRIPT */

BK_SET_NAME=Daily Full Backup
BK_METHOD=0
OPEN_FILES_METHOD=2
RETENSION_MEDIA=1
PRESERVE_TREE_ON_ARCHIVE=1
SINGLE_INSTANCE_FOR_NTFS=1
REMOTE_AGENT_PRIORITY=MEDIUM

MEDIA_SET=Full Backup
APPEND=0
VERIFY=0
COMPRESSION_TYPE=2
CHECKSUM=1
EJECT_MEDIA=1

BACKUP_LOCAL_MOUNT_POINTS=1

SCHED_STARTTIME=23:00:00
SCHED_ENDTIME=22:59:59
SCHED_DAYSOFWEEK=2/1,3/1,4/1,5/1,6/1,2/2,3/2,4/2,5/2,6/2,2/3,3/3,4/3,5/3,6/3,2/4,3/4,4/4,5/4,6/4,2/5,3/5,4/5,5/5,6/5
AUTO_CANCEL_TIME=720
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the policy file (bkjobpolicy.txt):

/* POLICY */
/* operations: 260 */

NAME=Daily_Full_Backup_Policy
DESCRIPTION=Default Policy

NAME1=Daily_Full_Backup_Template
TYPE1=0
FILE1=bkjobtemplate.txt

There's a job selections file as well but i'm not including it in this post.

All script commands return as "1" successfull. The job, policy, template and selection list are all created as expected except for:

1) AUTO_CANCEL_TIME=720 doesn't get set.
2) The job is not assigned to the "Full Backup" media set although the "Full Backup" media set is created..

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Not sure what's up with the smiley faces?? Replace with -> colon D

Thanks!

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

We are researching on the issue. We will get back and reply to the post soon.

Thanks.

Backer_Upper
Level 2
Thanks, I look forward to your response.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi Becker,

We are still researching on the same. we will get back to you at the latest by 2005-04-14.

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Thanks.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
Hello,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered"and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Thanks

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.

Backer_Upper
Level 2
I'm still waiting on a solution from you all.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi Becker,

We apologize for the prolonged delay in replying to you on this issue. We do understand your concern. We have simulated this issue on all different possibilities and different build of Backup Exec 10.0 and verified that even we are getting the same results as you are getting.

In order to have a detailed and thorough analysis of the issue, we would need more information such as the snapshots of the jobs created after running the scripts and the output of the command interface. Due to the complexity of this issue, it would not be possible to continue troubleshooting this issue using Forum.

The troubleshooting will require personal attention of a VERITAS Technical Support representative. Hence we would request you to contact our telephone support.

Please contact us through your local support number.You can see a list of support numbers at our support web site:
http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm

Please note that you may be charged for this service.

For the latest details on pricing, please visit http://support.veritas.com/srv_portfolio/srvc_pricing_matrix.htm

If you have any doubts or would need any further clarification, please freely revert to us and we will be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Alan_Foley
Level 4
You have got to be kidding. You say in your reply that you have been able to duplicate the problem in multiple versions of the product and are getting the same results. Then tell the originator that it will require him to pay for a service representative to correct the problem, and it took almost 105 days to arrive at this conclusion.
You are not exactly portraying your ability to solve this even after someone pays for an answer.......

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hello,
I do not know what the status of this question is.... but

according to my knowledge with bemcmd the auto cancel time can not work, as this feature is not available within the GUI. As of version 10 the auto cancel time is set within the selection list, not within the template or plicy. As you can not set this in the GUI I would wonder why it should work through bemcmd. - Unfortunately, there is no such command documented for version 10 bemcmd to put in the selectionlist via bemcmd.

(Only way would be to set the default auto cancel period in the GUI or by:

bemcmd -o300 -do:do_job_cancelthreshold

The BK_SET_NAME variable within the template script is simply ignored.
If one deletes it or exchanges it against crab, the default media set is still taken. Seems that this variable never worked. - When executing one can see, that the system states "getting list of media sets..."

This really is a feature" and can only be corrected by VERITAS.

If you did not yet created an official support call for this, please let me know - I will do so to have the problem officialy adressed an to be (hopefully) fixed in a future release. (I have tested with BE 10_5520)

regards

uz

Renuka_-
Level 6
Hello Alan,

We apologise for the inconvenience that this might cause you. But since the issue cannot be replicated given the limited information that can be transmitted across forums, we advise you to avail to personal assistance from a Veritas Engineer.

This will help us better analyse the issue and arrive to a solution sooner.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
finally, with HotFix 6 for BEWS 10 5520 at least the
"BK_SET_NAME" Parameter works.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277873.htm

Regards

uz

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned in our last reply, the problem that you are facing is complex and hence, requires in-depth troubleshooting. It is therefore necessary that you open a Voice or Direct Assist incident. Unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you any further on this through the Forums.
Please contact us through your local support number as mentioned in the link below:
http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm
* Please note that you may be charged for this service. For the latest details on pricing, please visit:
http://support.veritas.com/srv_portfolio/srvc_pricing_matrix.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.