cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Backup Exec 2010 R2 with Cybernetics Storage

OpsSysTech
Level 3

I have been back and forth with our equipment vendor about using Backup Exec 2010 r2 with a Cybernetics virtual tape library. Is there anyone else who has attempted to use this combination for replacing their tape systems?

My problems are with symantec recognizing the Cybernetics unit as a tape device first of all, then a second issue with Backup Exec not backing up virtual server RMS's? Help with any of these would help greatly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OpsSysTech
Level 3

It truly is a no-man's land in this case. Symantec says that it's not on the HCL, but Cybernetics was able to get this to work by using a supported driver for an Overland Tape Device. It's working, but there are other issues with the tapes now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked Hardware compatibility list of BE2010 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is your media virtualised, and if so, is it on VMware or Hyper-V?

Vmware has some very strict guidelines on running a media server as a VM, so please read the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

Furthermore, your library doesn't appear on the BE 2010 R2 and R3 HCL, so chances aren't good you'll get it to work, unless it emulates another make.

If you can see the drive and robotics in Windows though, there is always the chance you'd see it in BE...make sure it shows up in Device Manager!

Thanks!

OpsSysTech
Level 3

I've checked the compatability list and it's not listed, however, Cybernetics informed me that it can be used so long as the tape drive is selected with an Outland Tape Device driver(Microsoft) through Backup Exec.

OpsSysTech
Level 3

Sorry if my comment was a little vague. My setup is:

CAS - Virtual

Media Servers 1 through 5 are physical servers.

I am backing up approx 50/50 combination of physical servers and virtual (VMWare) machines.

When I backup the virtual machines I am getting an error "The virtual machine has physical disks. The disk marked physical RDM will not be backed up"

teiva-boy
Level 6

physical RDM's you have to backup via an agent.  This is a limitation of the VMware API's supplied for BackupExec.

Outside of that, get the library to work in WIndows using whatever Cybernetics recommends and detected in the device manager, and Backup exec will function properly after that once you go through the BE device wizards.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Personally, if it is not on the HCL, then I would not use it.  Suppose it does not work or have problems, you cannot go to Symantec because it is not supported.  The other vendor will only be able to verify that their equipment is functioning correctly.  If it does, they would say that it is BE's fault.  I hate to be caught in the no-man's land between two vendors.

OpsSysTech
Level 3

It truly is a no-man's land in this case. Symantec says that it's not on the HCL, but Cybernetics was able to get this to work by using a supported driver for an Overland Tape Device. It's working, but there are other issues with the tapes now.