cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Exec 15 Capacity License on Exec 20+ new install

larkness
Level 2

I want to use some of the licensing from our current Exec 15 Capacity Edition to build a NEW server to install Exec 20+ on it, all While leaving the majority of the licensing on the old server to continue to run our backup jobs while I'm building the new one. I would then build each job from scratch on the new server. Eventually we will be getting new licensing because we are way over what we bought right now. We bought 10TB and are currently using 26.6TB.

If I take 4 Terrabytes of the license we have on the older server and move it to the new server installation with 20+ on it, will it continue to see itself as part of the old license on the old server and then stop any backups from happening on the  20+ server? I read that the new version 20+ will discontinue backing up jobs if it sees you're over on the licensing. Can I  just use one of the serial numbers with 4TB and leave it on the old server and also add to the new server so  can start building the jobs on the new install?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can install BE 20 on your new server in trial mode, i.e., without any licence.  You have 60 days to do your setup and sort out your licencing problems.  If you install your new licences on your new server before the 60 days is up, your jobs would not be disrupted.  Otherwise, the jobs on your new server will stop running after the trial period.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can install BE 20 on your new server in trial mode, i.e., without any licence.  You have 60 days to do your setup and sort out your licencing problems.  If you install your new licences on your new server before the 60 days is up, your jobs would not be disrupted.  Otherwise, the jobs on your new server will stop running after the trial period.