cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using NAS as a Backup Storage device (Backup Exec 11d)

Will_Ong
Level 2

Hi,

First of all, I would like to apologise if this has been discussed in the forum before (I couldn't find a related discussion). I would like to find out whether it is possible to use NAS as a backup storage device in BE 11d?

If it not possible, then I probable should upgrade to BE 2012? And in BE 2012, what are the additional option/agent that I need to purchase in order to backup to a NAS? The NAS that I'm looking at is QNAP TS-469U-SP. Can anyone here please advice? Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Regardless of whether you upgrade BE or not, you would not require any additional licence to backup to your NAS.

BE 11d is very old and you should consider an upgrade.  I doubt your device is in the BE 11d HCL.  Do test its functionality with 

B2Dtest.exe

to ensure that it will work properly.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

And this link gives a general idea on how to set up QNAP as storage for BE - http://files.qnap.com/news/pressresource/product/Backup_Exec_12.5_with_QNAP_NAS.pdf

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Will,

The upgrade has been answered already...

As for the NAS, that NAS does iSCSI. If you're not storing data on it and simply want to back up to it, enable the iSCSI option. I've done this very successfully on Iomega NAS units (ix4-200r; px12-350r).

Windows Server 2003 needs an iSCSI initiator to be downloaded and installed, but Windows Server 2008 R2 ships with this initiator as native to the OS. It works well, gets around any DNS/permissions issues that BE might experience, and appears as local disk on the server meaning you can present 2TB LUNs and span them into something a lot larger to target your backups too.

Check the link below for further information on how I did it:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

Thanks!

Will_Ong
Level 2

Appreciate all the replies I've gotten so far. A big thank you to all!