cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Superloader L700 and Symantec Backup 2012

Dcraft
Level 3

I seem to be having an issue, I am trying to do a restore and the SB asks me for tape LT 12 so I put LT12 in and it tells me to still install LT12 so my question here is.. Does SB have a method by which I can view the Tape ID once it's in the Drive and also that I can search the tapes contents if it's not showing up... This to me is a HUGE help...

Thanks, 

16 REPLIES 16

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If tape LT12 has a barcode and is still in the BE database, then you would only need to run a scan jon on it.

If tape LT12 does not have a bar code or has been removed from the BE database, then you will need to run an inventory.

Once the tape is known to BE, you can look at the media properties, including the Media label, Media ID, etc

If tape LT12 doesn't have any restore selections available, then you will need to run a catalog job on tape LT12.  Once it is catalogged, then you can restore from it.

Dcraft
Level 3

Larry TY one more question are there advantages to using the BarCodes?? Currently we are not such as does it make it faster to inventory and or other items??

Also do we need to buy these BarCodes from Symantec or just standard BarCodes??

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Yes, there are advantages to using bar codes in that you can do a scan job instead of an inventory job in many situations.  A scan job is significantly faster than an inventory as it doesn't require mounting the tape in a drive.  It also reduces human confusion about which tape is which, unless you already have a very good manual labelling system.  Of course, this assumes that your robotic library handles barcodes, which I think the STK L700 does.

No, you don't buy the bar codes from Symantec, I don't even think they sell them.  You would buy them from your robotic library hardware vendor or from a label printing company.  Just make sure they are the right labels for your type of tapes.  Assuming you are using LTO, those are pretty common.  Some hardware vendors have extra requirments, so check your owners manual before spending a lot.  Generally, you just buy sheets of sequential numbers at a random starting point.  If you are ordering froma printer, you probably get to specify the starting point.

Dcraft
Level 3

Larry I think I Brain Farted this one.. I ASSUMED they had been Cataloged and Inventoried prior to removing them.. But this was so not the case... 

I have had purchasing go ahead and get me Labels also on the Symantec site I found a Program that prints out the Barcodes.. 

Is there any way you could verify if this is ok or not to use.. Have never used Barcodes..

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how 

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I was actually looking for pkh's article for you earlier, but I didn't find it.  Yes, that is a good article.  I believe the bar code printing program is still usable, but I haven't tested it myself.

Here is another good thread on the subject.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/22899-how-to-print-barcode-label-for-lto-backup-tapes

One of the web sites mentioned in that thread used to allow free DIY printing, back in 2010, but they charge now.

For some reason, the article link above wasn't working for me due to some extra characters, so lets see if this link works better.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you are using a tape library and it asked you for tapes in the middle of a job, you cannot just open the magazine and put in the tapes.  They would not be recognised until you do either an inventory or a scan if you are using barcode labels.  Both actions cannot be done in the midst of a job.

The only way you can continue in this situation is to import a barcode labeled tape.  During the import process, the tape would be recognised and can be used by the job.  For tapes without barcode labels, they need to be inventoried after the import and this is not possible in the midst of a job.

Dcraft
Level 3

When the tapes were removed after checking back I had told it to inventory and catalog however for some reason it did not.. I did not remove the tapes in the middle of the job.. I thought maybe I had not told it to but I did it just failed and I use to face on the superloader to eject tapes not Symantec it's horribly slow and inneficient at so many things.. Takes way to much time when people have none of that... 

Now it seems to inventory the tapes but I get an error now on the catalog build... It seems to be running just fine then it stops and restarts... 

There are a TON of bugs in this backup not to mention it's very inneficient in the long run.. 

Dcraft
Level 3

pkh BTW I ordered Barcodes and a Labeler to start from now on.. But the issue I have now is that I need this particular directory and it does not seem to come up..

Another thing that makes Symantec BE HORRIBLE is the inability to search Drives without Cataloging them.. This is a Nightmare for anyone who is in a Hurry or that had at some point to redo a server etc.. There are so many flaws in this design it's really not better than simple old Fbackup.. 

Since day one with multiple techs calls etc we have had nothing but horrible results from Symantecs Software and by no means would I personally ever spec it for a company.. Very cumbersome and inefficient as I said..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When using barcode labels, make sure that your barcode labels conform to the requirements of the tape library.  Otherwise, your barcode labels may not be recognised.

Without cataloging, BE will not know the contents of the media and thus will not be able to do any searches.  It is important to keep the catalogs for a sufficiently long time so that you can easily access them.

Dcraft
Level 3

TY can you take a look at this issue and tell me if you have an idea how to fix it... BTW I apologize if I sound grumpy it's been a BAD last few weeks Murphy has been kicking me in the Head every day... TY for the help...

I am trying to find out why I have a Green S on the Tape Slot Number.. I am trying to restore data that is only on this tape I can intentory it just fine and it runs the catalog to almost the end then it stops and I get an error code..

I have followed every tech suggestion on Symantec that I can find and nothing seems to work.. Any advice would be appreciated...

Also one thing about my backup, it's a superloader with 8 Tapes not a single one.. Does this mean I have to re-inventory the entire Batch and then Re_catalog it all???

0xe0000900

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Post a screenshot of your slot with the S

If your backup set spans a couple of tapes, then you would need to inventory and catalog all of them.  If you have only one of tapes in the set, then click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings and under Catalog, uncheck Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations.  This will allow you to catalog this single tape.

Dcraft
Level 3

So I verified all the lastest updates etc... I moved the Catalogs to a completely new name and then I rebooted the server.. I also made sure all the tapes from that lot were in the superloader and restarted the Inventory and Catalog so the catalog up to this point was going for like 35 minutes then failing but as of this minute it has been running for an hour and 10 minutes and is still going...

Will keep you updated with my fingers crossed LOL

Dcraft
Level 3

Here are the screenshots as requested... I am at my wits end on this one.. TY very much for all the help...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your catalog job failed.  See my comment above on how to get around this.

Dcraft
Level 3

pkh you're not going to Freaking believe this.. So in the middle of the night the Freaken POC BE decides to run a new job and guess what tape it ran it on yes that's it the one I needed.. So now I believe I am pretty much Screwed.. I so hate this program it is the WORST backup program on the planet.. 

Dcraft
Level 3

Is there ANY way to undo a rewrite on TBUs?? I mean is it humanly possible... I need this Data Urgently...