cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility Partition & BKUPEXEC DB Issue

joshua_smith
Level 2
I have 1 backup exec server running windows 2003 32bit that i use to control all my server backups. All servers run backup exec v10.1.

The server i'm having problems backing up is a windows 2003 R2 x64 machine. I have the x64bit client installed, and the backups are running and grabbing data, but it won't backup the "Utility Partition" or "BKUPEXEC" database either. The error i get is:

Unable to attach to \\Servername\.
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

Unable to attach to Servername\BKUPEXEC.
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

I'm taking for granted that there is no BKUPEXEC database because it's only a remote agent installed. But i'd like to have backup exec quit flagging the backups as failed if this is the case.

I'm concerned about the utility partition and what exactly it is. None of the rest of my servers are backing up a utility partition and I'm not sure if this is something new with x64 remote agent or windows 2003 R2. Does this need to be backed up? If so, does anybody know how to get it backed up?

TIA
~josh
2 REPLIES 2

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
What the R2 server a different pieced of hardware at one time and you brought new hardware up with the same name?

Edit the Backup Exec and goto the selections. There is a toggle to switch to Text view. You will probably see a utility partition and bkupexec instance which doesnt exist and can delete them

joshua_smith
Level 2
You are correct. I replaced this server with new hardware and new OS, so backup exec was still hitting the old Utility Partition and BKUPEXEC DB instance.

I changed to text and mode and fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help!